Fishing boat in the early morning hours

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Louis Champan, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Spotted this crabber a few hundred yards off shore in the early hours of the morning, while I was out searching for eagles.

DSC_7939 72wf.jpg

Louie

• Like Like x 5
  2. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    I like it, looks like a painting

3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Lovely image. Are those nets still on the boat....meaning they are just heading out?

4. Thanks very much, yes those are nets and I have to correct myself, this is not a crab boat. These guys are netting some type of fish. However, both the crab boats and purse seine boats come in very close to shore.

5. Very nice photo Louie, would make a nice wall, hanger, looks like a float net boat, purse seine woild have big doors on the back for spreading the net, I lived at the harbor in my commercal salmon boat, a very neat photo none the less.

6. Darrell, thanks for correcting me don't know what I was thinking saying crabber then seiner. You can see the nets pilled up on the back of the boat. However, there aree crab boats working night and day right now.

7. Actually a net with doors is a trawl. A purse seine has no doors - the boat proceeds in a circle feeding out net as it goes (or a smaller boat pulls the net into a circle). Once the circle is complete a line through rings on the bottom of the net is drawn in to close the bottom like on a draw-string purse. The boat in the photo is likely a seiner. I worked for the Canadian Federal Fisheries Dep't.

Larry

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  8. Very nice Louie. Foggy shots have such depth of emotion.

9. I stand corrected then, the purse seine would have boom on the back, and a haul ramp at the stern correct?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Personally, I don't mind what sort of boat it is. It is a very nice image. You have managed to stop that light being blown out which is a bonus.

11. Nice catch Louie - I see this and think about cold and windy and hard work to come...

12. I think you'll find ramps on larger stern trawlers.

Larry

13. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Fog and sun position make it for me.

14. Sorry Louie, didn't mean to hijack your thread, Hey you know what that photo needs..............sound of waves crashing.

15. Thanks everyone for all of your comments, appreciate them. No problem at all Darrell, I'm glad someone knows more about boats than I do, because I know very little.

16. Very nice and moody image.

17. tony-b

tony-b

Sep 13, 2008
    Viera, FL
    I enjoyed this. Not the typical boat on water image. Thanks.

18. russ49

russ49

May 13, 2012
    USA
    If you were in a boat and it was rocking as well as the object boat rocking and at 500mm and 1/1000 sec still a super shot to get anything focused and come out looking this good. Super!!

19. Lovely picture - even has a couple of sea gulls in the frame - could they be Herring Gulls in that part of the world ?

Fishing boats of the world are interesting !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.