Fishing Gull, Osprey, and one very annoyed Eagle

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Here are a few from the 1st and 3rd of the July. Same spot, a bit of different behavior.

Gulls only catch and eat small fish, right?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Osprey Fishing Behavior.

I think it is interesting to watch them as they lift off the water with their catch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Occasionaly they catch a fish that is too big to lift, and if they are unable to disengage, that is the end of the Osprey.

After they get in the air, they will often shake like a dog. I have never been able to catch this as well as I'd like, but this one is getting close.

[​IMG]

Bald Eagles sit in the trees here just watching for something to catch a fish, at which time they will swoop in for "the steal". Well, this Osprey decided to take things into its own talons, so to speak, before the Eagle had a chance. Louie already posted some shots of the start of the chase, here is my Talon to Jaw shot for the day.

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow more exciting stuff
    Great pics

Come on you guys gotta have some more:>)))

3. You guys have really got some great stuff out there.

Well Done!!!

4. Excellent shots Bill! Interesting how that osprey shakes of the water.

Anthony

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice set Bill. Wish I could be there with you guys.

6. Bill, another great set of images here. It is so much fun to watch these birds catch the fish right in front of you. I wish we had found out about it sooner. Hope you are feeling better.

7. Bill, very nice set. You sure did capture the action between the Eagle and Osprey. I think I have one of the same shots with that fish in the Sea Gull's mouth. Couldn't ask for anymore action than this.

Louie

8. Youze guyz up dere gottit too good!

A M A Z I N G captures!

9. Great stuff Bill.

10. Your'e on a roll Bill, what a cool series!!!

11. Very interesting shots Bill, thanks for sharing them.

Don

12. incredible! That must be amazing to watch. I have to find places to photograph eagles and osprey here in New England.