Fishing trips around the world

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Pa, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Pa

Pa

May 5, 2005
    SW Virginia
    Since I retired (the first time) in 2003, I've been fortunate to enjoy fishing trips in several spectacular spots around the world. These are all old photos, some made with early P&S cameras. But the common thread is that trout live in beautiful places.

1. American Creek, Katmai National Park, Alaska, 2004
    [​IMG]

2. Nireguao River, Patagonian Chile, 2005
    [​IMG]

3. Elk River near Fernie, BC, Canada, 2005
    [​IMG]

4. Ahuriri River, South Island, New Zealand, 2006
    [​IMG]

5. Copper River, Alaska, 2008
    [​IMG] 6.

6.Rio Malleo, Argentina, 2013
    [​IMG]

7. Collon Cura, Argentina, 2013
    [​IMG]

Since you see me in most of these photos you can be assured that they were taken by Mrs. T.

2. Jim, you're living my dream of fly fishing some of those waters. Probably second on my list of hobbies is fly fishing and tying, used to make fly rods before having to wear glasses. These are some of the pristine waters of the world for flyfishers, good for you.

3. Pa

Pa

May 5, 2005
    SW Virginia
    Thanks, Louie. One place that's been on my bucket list for a long time and will probably stay there until I kick the bucket is the Kamchatka Peninsula of Russia.

You have some wonderful fishing waters a lot closer to you than I do.

4. Pa

Pa

May 5, 2005
    SW Virginia
    A few more...

Deschutes River, Oregon, 2009
    [​IMG]

Colorado River below Glenn Canyon Dam, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. Well I've read a fair bit about fly fishing in Russia and what an experience that would be. I'm afraid for the near future my fishing trips will be a little closer to home.
    Always interesting to find someone else interested in fly fishing. I'm not quite as involved in the sport as I used to be but still get out as much as possible but between that and trying to get out on photography trips and tending to my motorcycles and spending time with my wife...I'm having a hard time fitting it all in. Sure glad that my wife and I retired 3 years ago and I've never wanted one minute for something to do.

6. One of my very first grad students was a fly fishing guide and a bartender. I took him on with the "agreement" that he'd teach me to fly fish and how to make a great Martini. He did neither! For that I'm extremely grateful--I wouldn't have had the time, and my wine habit would have suffered. Work took me to great places, and with retirement and all it will offer 68 days away I hope to reconnect with many of those places with my camera and binoculars in tow.
    By the way Jim, come and fish Idaho!

7. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Very nice (y). I will be hitting the lakes later this month, maybe even take my fly rod out for a change.

8. My father and grandfather were both keen fly fisherman. Despite a war injury resulting in only being able to use one arm, my father worked in the rod-making industry for a time. My grandfather always said, "God does not deduct from man's allotted time the hours spent in fishing'. He lived 'til he was 96 so I guess he was right!

A career in law, plus family and other commitments combined with living somewhere with no trout rivers within easy reach cut the hobby off for me over 30 years ago but I have fond memories of the times I went fly fishing. My father rented a 3-mile fishing concession for as long as I can remember until his premature death 25 years ago. It was a tributary of the River Tweed (famous for salmon fishing) and we used to catch those and the odd sea-trout now and again along with the usual brown trout. We'd sometimes eat the trout pan-fried in oatmeal, cooked on a gas stove beside the car for our evening meal! Happy days.

Although your images, Jim, show huge rivers compared to what I was brought up on, they've rekindled fond memories, as you can probably tell and for which I thank you. :)

9. Pa

Pa

May 5, 2005
    SW Virginia
    Neither am I. On the western trip that included fishing in the Colorado River (last image above), I tore the rotator cuff in my right shoulder here:

[​IMG]
    Since then, I've not been able to stand up to days on end of casting a fly rod.

10. Pa

Pa

May 5, 2005
    SW Virginia
    I would love to do that. I have fished Henry's Fork of the Snake River near Island Park.

11. Pa

Pa

May 5, 2005
    SW Virginia
    I agree with your grandfather's saying. I've certainly heard of the River Tweed but it's not quite my type of fishing.

12. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Traveler Administrator

You photos are wonderful, Jim, and the scenery!

As I know nothing about fishing, except for the results that appear on my dinner plate :rolleyes:, when you travel to these spots, do you carry your own fishing rod? Or do you rent from wherever you purchase.......bait.......tackle.....?? (don't know if I'm using the right terms...).

13. Great series. Thanks for sharing them. Really nice idea to have your wife document you fishing adventures.

14. MarkG

MarkG

Apr 11, 2012
    Lincs, UK
    I've never fished seriously for trout but looking at the scenery I ought to give it a go! I have been fishing on the river Ebro in Spain for the past 20 years for the large catfish, another breathtaking place to fish

15. MarkG

MarkG

Apr 11, 2012
    Lincs, UK
    Not quite the same scale of grandeur of your photos, this is the River Ebro upstream of Benifallet, Catalonia, my mates Al & Davy taking a break

[​IMG]Benifallet-11 by Mark Gregory, on Flickr

16. Pa

Pa

May 5, 2005
    SW Virginia
    Thanks, Lyndee. I carry all my own tackle: waders, rods, reels, flies (artificial), etc. I have a set of multi-piece fly rods that fit in a small tube (6-inch diameter) that fits neatly in an overhead bin on the plane. When you add that to camera gear it does complicate the packing, however.

And by the way, none of these trout end up on anyone's dinner plate.

Thanks, Mitchell. I am very fortunate to have married a wonderful gal who likes to go along on these trips and enjoy the scenery and wildflowers. She does a pretty fair job with the photography, too.

As I said at the outset, trout live in beautiful places!

17. Ok, as a fellow-fisherman (granted, not a fly-fisher), I see a LOT of beautiful, pristine, enviable places to fish. But, what I don't see are the fish! :)

Seriously, I'd love to know what you either caught, or at least were fishing for, in those places.

Loved seeing them all.

18. Mark101

Mark101

Oct 20, 2009
    Alabama
    Very nice Jim

19. Pa

Pa

May 5, 2005
    SW Virginia
    Si
    Since you ask...