1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured Critique Five Favorites from the South Africa Bush

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Mike Buckley, Apr 18, 2018.

1. My wife and I recently spent three days in South Africa's Madikwe Game Reserve, which is on the border with Botswana. These are my choices of our five best photos of animals. The second and last photos were captured by my wife and post-processed by me.

One reason I like the last photo so much is because of the story it tells. Once an older, bull elephant's dominant role in the herd is taken over by a younger, stronger bull, he is banned from the herd and spends the rest of his life roaming the bush predominantly on his own. My wife's capture of the elephant walking away down the long, lonely road tells that poignant story so well in my mind.

The animal in the second photo is a black rhino, which is a relatively rare sighting at least in that part of Africa where white rhinos are more common. It was a special treat to see it in such gorgeous light.

Photo #1
    Mike 2018-03-29--1095-S.
    NIKON D7000    180-180 mm F2.8-F2.8    180mm    f/4.5    1/500s    ISO 500

Photo #2
    Joellen 2018-03-29--1222-S.
    NIKON D5100    70-300 mm F4.5-F5.6    300mm    f/11.0    1/500s    ISO 5600

Photo #3
    Mike 2018-03-30--1498-S.
    NIKON D7000    180-180 mm F2.8-F2.8    180mm    f/5.6    1/500s    ISO 360

Photo #4
    Mike 2018-03-28--0527-S.
    NIKON D7000    180-180 mm F2.8-F2.8    180mm    f/8.0    1/250s    ISO 5600

Photo #5
    Joellen 2018-03-31--1964-S.
    NIKON D5100    70-300 mm F4.5-F5.6    102mm    f/9.5    1/500s    ISO 1100

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Exquisite shooting Mike.

1: so well composed and exposed. Both elephants are place just right.
    3 & 4 are such unique shots and are very powerful.
    5 has great tones and is a perfect closing shot.

3. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Love all three elephant shots. #3 is particularly special.

4. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    An excellent set of images, Mike! Strong composition in #1! And #3,4 and 5 are exquisitely captured and processed!

5. Thank you to Nick, Karen and Dayo!

6. Quite a set Mike.

7. My goodness, Mike, these are wonderful. #1 is such a timeless silhouette. #4 is unique and very special.

8. These are all wonderful. I particularly appreciate the soft light in #2, the texture in #3 and #1 is just plain fantastic to look at. Very nicely done all around.

9. Thank you also to Fred, dossy and Brian!

10. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Some suggested this for a feature! Agreed!

11. DW Brewer

DW Brewer Guest

Excellent set of images. What I like most is the mixture of color images with B&W. The use of color is self-explanatory; the color helps the image tell the story. B&W "speaks to the viewer." These images take me back almost forty years to a course on Scientific Photography and Illustration, where we learned to use B&W imagery in order to understand tonality. Your B&W images in this set illustrate that concept so beautifully. The texture therein is superbly rendered. how about another fiv4 images to drool over.....?

12. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    Agree with all the above, but particularly with the "3 and 4" fan club and also with the impact of the mix of mono and colour.

13. Thank you also to DW Brewer, Bill and Jim. A special thank you to Nick for nominating the third photo for placement on the home page and to Wade for making that happen. That image happens to be my favorite of my images made while we were on vacation in South Africa. The fifth photo is my favorite of my wife's images.

Regarding the discussion of the mix of color and monochrome images, I make the choice between the two possibilities based on which style best presents the scene. I generally choose a monochrome presentation either because the lines, textures, shape, structure and the like are the highlights of the scene or when the colors in a scene are so complex as to be distracting that a monochrome presentation simplifies the scene. Otherwise, I go with color.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  14. Congrats on the feature!

I enjoyed viewing the set...the images are creative. My favorite is the last one...although it is kind of sad.

I like the first image, but think it would have been very special if the baby elephant could have been silhouetted against the sky...too bad he stepped in front of the mountain in the backdrop.

3 and 4 are excellent portraits.

Glenn

15. What a great series. You wife did a super job with 1 and 5. Especially like the story that goes along with 5.

Your processing is stellar.

16. Thank you also to Glenn and Gordon!

My wife agrees with you. I instead like that the slope of the mountain is so similar to and longer than the slope of the underside of the baby elephant's head and belly.

While we're discussing the baby elephant, notice that its head is held up high. Our ranger/guide explained that the head of an adult elephant weighs about the same as the entire body of an adult rhino. That pretty much puts the size and weight of an adult elephant into perspective and perhaps explains why an adult doesn't hold its head high unless it is agitated.

17. 1 and 4 are very nice indeed - good shooting!

18. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Great stuff (y)

19. An amazing set, nice work.

Cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.