Critique Five Finger Death Punch

My absolute FAVORITE band in the entire universe. I am lucky enough to shoot them every time they're on tour in my area. At this years show, "The Wrong Side of Heaven" Tour, I was lucky enough to shoot them from their dressing room all the way out to the stage. I was on stage with them the entire show, carte blanche, ANYWHERE I wanted to shoot from!!! I was BLOWN AWAY to say the least!!! I haven't posted in a while as with my schedule lately, I just don't have time to shoot... Hope you like them. As always, CC welcomed and wanted. Thanks in advance. You can see the rest from this show here;

http://www.joelarussophoto.com/fivefingerdeathpunch-2014prudentialcenter

1 FFDP
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2 Jeremy Spencer

3 Chris Kael

4 Ivan Moody

5 Jason Hook

6 Zoltan Bathory

Great set, went to your website to look and you have some fantastic stuff. Come on give us the behind the scene story on this. Like how did you get such great access, cameras, lenses, stories behind the shots.

Oh did I mention great work. Tell more!!!!

Thank you all very much for the compliments!!! Five Finger Death Punch has been my favorite band long before I got my dream come true to shoot them, something I never could've imagined happening. A friends band that I shoot when they play happened to be opening for them the first time I shot them. Bassist Chris Kael happened to see one of the photos I posted of him on my Facebook page. He contacted me about some prints. I was beside myself with disbelief to be contacted by him. I worked out a deal with him on some prints. That's how the relationship started. I was told anywhere they they're playing all I have to do is let them know that I want to shoot the show and I'm in. So now every year and tour that they play my area, I just shoot Chris or Jeremy an email and I'm there.

Last years tour, The Wrong Side of Heaven, The Righteous Side of Hell, I had my usual ticket and back stage pass/photo pass waiting for me. When I got in, wanted to do some test shots of the band in front of them so I could set my cameras. Security stopped me from entering the photo pit. I was surprised since I was there to shot the head lining band, Five Finger Death Punch. I was told I'd have to get it straightened out with the band. So I went to the back trying to find the dressing rooms. Don't get me wrong, we're friendly, but NOT like THAT... The last thing I wanted to do was bother them. At this point I see a guy wearing a FFDP t shirt. So I approached him and that's when I had my Matrix moment...

This guy says to me, "Oh, you must be Joe... I've been expecting you". So I tell him, " that's great... WHO the HELL are YOU"?? SO he tells me that he's the tour manager and was waiting for me to come in. Then he tells me that I'm their "GUY" that night. He tells me to come back stage 30 minutes before the show so that I can meet their head of security. The band wants ME to shoot them from the dressing room all the way out to the stage!!!!! I couldn't believe what he was saying to me. I was allowed to go anywhere I wanted, once I met security so they could see me and know not to bother me. I was on stage with them all night, hanging out with them, I was even up on the drum kit standing behind Jeremy. I was sooooo nervous and was petrified that I'd get in someone's way so I actually was a little hesitant about where to shoot from. Next tour though, I'll be ready and I'll be all over that stage shooting from EVERY and ANY spot and angle conceivable!!! They're in the studio right now laying down tracks for the ir new album. I SOOOOO CAN'T WAIT for this years show!!!

These were all shot with my D3s/D800e and 24-70/70-200. With all the nerves and running around I never pulled out my 14-24 or any primes. But that's ok, cuz this years show I'm more than ready... \m/

JusPlainCrayzee

Administrator
Administrator
These are sooooo awesome, Joe!! I KNOW the band loved your shots - and congrats for being able to capture images from every angle. I've never heard of FFDP (not a heavy metal type of gal...), but zowwieee - you knocked these outta the park. Well done, and thanks so much for dropping by! :)

BTW - #2 is amazing!!

These are sooooo awesome, Joe!! I KNOW the band loved your shots - and congrats for being able to capture images from every angle. I've never heard of FFDP (not a heavy metal type of gal...), but zowwieee - you knocked these outta the park. Well done, and thanks so much for dropping by! :)

BTW - #2 is amazing!!
Thanks again everyone.

Lyndee, I'm sure they'd convert ya. Hehe.

HOLY SH*T!!!! That's an awesome story with an AWESOME band!! I've always liked FFDP and got to see them at Rock USA last year in Oshkosh, Wi. I'm hoping they play RUSA again this year!! Fantastic images and I think it goes without saying........I'm jealous!! :)

HOLY SH*T!!!! That's an awesome story with an AWESOME band!! I've always liked FFDP and got to see them at Rock USA last year in Oshkosh, Wi. I'm hoping they play RUSA again this year!! Fantastic images and I think it goes without saying........I'm jealous!! :)
THANK YOU VERY MUCH Deebo!!!! Before I shot them it was on my bucket list of things to do, that I figured for sure would never happen!!! They were/are my favorite band from long before I shot one of their shows. The WORST thing about shooting them is that I don't get to enjoy the show at all!!! But that's fine with me!!! LOL I can't wait for this years tour. The new album is almost done.

There are 2 interviews with Jeremy Spencer coming out. 4 of my photos are being used in both. Can't wait to see THOSE!!!

fantastic work!
The large concert lighting always makes me weep with jealousy. 5 years of shooting in local venues, I am still trying to get my media pass to a real large stage :|

Thanks Foques. I HAETE shooting in bars and smaller venues where the lighting is HORRENDOUS!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom