Fix for NX 1.1 black lines???

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by Vienna Pics, May 2, 2007.

1. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Has anyone heard when/if Nikon is going to release a patch to fix the NX 1.1 black line issue? Still running 1.0.1.

2. I have the 1.1 and have no black lines, in fact no problems at all.

Cheers
    Nancy

3. jaymc

jaymc Guest

I've heard about this problem on a variety of boards and podcasts and haven't heard of any resolution yet. I've also been using ver. 1.1 and don't have this problem on either my new laptop w/Vista or my Gateway desktop which dual boots in both XP Pro/Vista Premium.

- Jay

4. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Jay - it seems that you either get the black line or not. I get it on every image that I process with 1.1. I drop back to 1.0.1 and the line is gone!

5. jaymc

jaymc Guest

Could you post an example pic, so people can see what to look for?

- Jay

6. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I get the black line on some photos while in NX, but when I go to file/open with and open the image in CS2 to finish my processing, the line is gone. It never seems to affect the final image so I haven't worried about it.

7. Mark, sorry I have not gotten back to you, thanks for the reminder. I have a message in to my Nikon contact now, awaiting a reply.

For those who have not followed this, Mark did some extensive testing, sent me a ton of samples, which I passed on to the Dev folks at Nikon. It appears, at least in some cases, that this is a problem around the caching of files in NX and that sometimes clearing the cache clears up the problem, but not always. The line seems to always appear in the same place, I have seen it a couple of times, but quite rarely. Which is why this kind of problem is such a pain in the rear to track down.

I'll let everyone know when I hear back, hopefully in a day or two.

8. Are you refering to this?
    [​IMG]

9. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia

Terry, When I get the line in the NX 1.1 PP'ed NEF and then do a save as to JPEG, the JPEG get's the black line in the JPEG.

10. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Here is one example: [​IMG]

11. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. If you deselect all changes and then reselect them the black line will go away. Sometimes it is necessary to do this several times.

13. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Tully, Thanks for the suggestion - I am back to just using 1.0.1 and all the bugs with that version until Nikon/NIK fix their 1.1 problems. I am in IT and it is amazing how quickly other companies fix obvious 'in the user's face' problems while others let them slip.

When anything becomes too painful for a user to use, they move onto another solution that is less painful. Not a sermon, just a thought.

14. I know what you mean. In this case NX has a bit of a monopoly on my perseverance, however. I'm pretty psycho about wanting only one file and NX is the only program that I know of that can make changes to an NEF. So I guess that I'm pretty generous in overlooking its 'quirks'. :)

15. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    I sometimes get the same line in the same place as the sample posted here. If I close the file and re-open, it is usually gone.

16. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Thanks for the suggestion Tomas. That does not work for me - I can close NX and/or reboot the PC and/or clear out the NX cache/temp files - once processed, the black lines remains.

17. Instead of a black line, I usually get a white line but not in my shots but on the NX window..at the top right corner. I can see a small, short white line. Doesn't affect my pictures any and I've learned to ignore it.

Oh well!!

Laura

18. Calling on SamIam

Hey Sam

This may not be related to the original topic of this thread but seeing the image that you posted, I'm interested in hearing what the problem was that caused the greenish block to appear in your image? I have a photog friend who had 1 or 2 images with funny colored blocks like yours and we don't know what the problem is...in the D70 or the memory card or something else entirely?

Thanks!