1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Fixed Gear Bikes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iShoot, Sep 18, 2008.

1. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    Anyone Ride Them?

2. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Tried it once. Freaked me out big time. I prefer regular style.

3. They are trendy right now but even if they weighed 5 pounds you would still use more energy on one than a geared bike. It is a lot more work without the health benefits, because the best workout on a bike is through cadence and HR monitoring.

4. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    I have a single speed but not a fixed.

5. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    Know where I can a flip flop hub with a rim already?

6. What is a fixed speed bike, how is it different from a single speed?? Do you mean like every kid had in the 50s??

7. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    A fixed gear bike is a bike where there is no freewheel, and you can pedal backwards. Thats like the basic idea, no freewheel, and the pedals keep going when you ride.

8. I am pretty sure you can get a flip flop setup from a secondary shop. But if you get the pieces separately you can lace it how you want. Mavic's and DT spokes are always my picks. Is there a specific reason you want this kind of setup. It really is impractical at best. But you already know that.

9. iShoot

iShoot

Feb 1, 2008
    Stockton,CA
    I just like to ride it, and I'm on the side of Function rather than Fashion. So here's what I'm looking at a Deep V rim and a Formula flip flop hub, but this set up will run me almost 180 with lacing, I am assuming. So is it better to just get the wheel set?

10. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    In the book "Hearts of Lions," by Peter Nye - which is about the history of bicycle racing in the United States - there is a chapter on a racer who trained by riding in the Catskill mountains on a fixed gear bike. I think that impressed me as much as, if not more than, any other story in the book.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2008
  11. OK I gotcha, yea I remember, going down hill it was always legs up and out, glad I never crashed that thing.:biggrin:

12. Flip flop hub you will find at Harris Cyclery ,http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/. Riding a fixie will teach you amoung other things to pedal in circles, rather than be a masher. You will get a workout:smile:. May find them at Surly, and Soma Fabrication websites also.
    Tim

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.