Fixing a steep driveway.

Option 1.) Keep a short piece of broom-stick handy to push my heart back out of my throat.
Option2.)????
Today I decided to see if the van would fit in the garage, the little Nissan gets in and out ok.
It's pretty scary when you go over the ridge and end up staring at the concrete right in front of the van.
aaaDSC_0802_zps70575148.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It is a rather steep driveway. As I went in Lisa watched the roof and there was plenty of space for the roof racks to go in as well but I could hear the bull-bar on the front scraping the ground.
When I tried to get it out again I backed out very slowly to stop the scraping but then I was on the steep slope and when I tried to reverse the wheels just spun. Scary stuff!
I rolled back into the garage and took off the bull-bar, along with some skin and blood from my finger, and took a run-up and managed to get back out - but not without the front of the van still scraping a bit.

aDSC_3000_zpsb4209f24.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I still need to find out the legalities but it could probably be only half as steep if the sidewalk could be lowered a bit. The obvious solution now is for the van to stay out on the road as it has been all its life but in the interests of resale value as well it would be really nice if the driveway could be made a little more manageable, or I could perhaps sell tickets for people to experience driving down into our garage :biggrin:

How much water gets in there after a good rain?

Theres a house near me with a similar drive. No sidewalk (country rd), but my guess isnt fun come winter with ice.

Kinda surprised the house wasnt made a tri-level to raise the garage up closer to street level. These are perfect for hilly lots. Around here though, they build tri-levels on flat lots. Looks odd.

How much water gets in there after a good rain?

Theres a house near me with a similar drive. No sidewalk (country rd), but my guess isnt fun come winter with ice.

Kinda surprised the house wasnt made a tri-level to raise the garage up closer to street level. These are perfect for hilly lots. Around here though, they build tri-levels on flat lots. Looks odd.

There is good drainage when it rains, and no snow here :smile:
It would have made sense to raise the garage as you say.

Plan: D...?

Build a hydraulic ramp/platform hinged at the road/sidewalk end, lift the garage end
up level with the road, drive the van onto it then lower the garage end and drive into
the garage...

Reverse the van in so the weight is over the driving wheels when leaving.

+1

Always back into a parking spot, even in a flat public parking spot as it is easier to get out when the time comes. Taught my wife this 25 years ago and never had to listen to her complain about some dufus blocking her in.:smile:

As for your problem, back in and you will forget that you even thought you had a problem. That driveway isn't that steep at all. Save your time and money for fun science.:smile:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
As a matter of interest what is the other side of the wall in the garage?

In other words if you accidentally press the wrong pedal when driving in, and go right through that wall, where do you find yourself?

A tip:
I have a car that is rather long and only just fits in the garage. I used to just drive in until I heard it hit the wall with a slight crunch. This was a slow process and did the car no good. I then came up with the idea of getting some of that grey pipe insulation, cutting it in two, and glueing it vertically to the wall. Now I can drive in faster and simply hit the wall, with the car in neutral, and it bounces off it. Saves a few seconds and no more scratches.

Unless I am missing something I have to assume that the drive was like this when you bought the house, therefore I would presume you had an idea of how to resolve this when you bought it - I don't see it as something that has suddenly appeared?

You do have the option to move to house that has been built somewhat more considerately :)

As a matter of interest what is the other side of the wall in the garage?

In other words if you accidentally press the wrong pedal when driving in, and go right through that wall, where do you find yourself?

A tip:
I have a car that is rather long and only just fits in the garage. I used to just drive in until I heard it hit the wall with a slight crunch. This was a slow process and did the car no good. I then came up with the idea of getting some of that grey pipe insulation, cutting it in two, and glueing it vertically to the wall. Now I can drive in faster and simply hit the wall, with the car in neutral, and it bounces off it. Saves a few seconds and no more scratches.

What you have described is the famous and most effective Stevie Wonder "Drive By Feel" method. This is the very same method used by most senior citizens on the US roadways.:biggrin:

Leave the car on the street, put in a window over the garage door (or a skylight) and set up a new photo studio for yourself.

DAB

Hydraulic car lift, in the driveway. When the lift is in the up position, it is level with the street. In the lower position, it is level with the garage. If you lose power.....you're stuck. :eek:

Unless I am missing something I have to assume that the drive was like this when you bought the house, therefore I would presume you had an idea of how to resolve this when you bought it - I don't see it as something that has suddenly appeared?

You do have the option to move to house that has been built somewhat more considerately :)

I really don't think he is complaining.

Plan E: Explosives.

Not sure what they would achieve here, but I thought it should be mentioned.

Latest threads

Top Bottom