fixing the backgound in a photo

I hope this can be done in Photoshop, but I'm not sure how. (I do most of my editing in LR, but I assume this needs PS) I took a photo where the subject was too close to the edge of the white paper. I'd like to replace the wood floor and carpet with white, to match the white background. I've tried googling, but I think I don't have the right terms, because I'm not finding a good tutorial to do this.

Does anyone have a good way to explain how to do this? Or can point to a good tutorial?

Thanks!
Kristin

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Simple Clone and Smudge tools.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I tried Ken's method of clone and smudge, thanks!

I like that first video, Alex, I didn't know that it was that easy. I tried that with my picture, but I wanted the flexibility from a brush rather than a rectangle. I've never used the marquee tool, it was good to learn about.
The other videos are also super cool, too. I'll remember them for future pictures where I want to stretch the background to make a bigger image.

Uh oh, another question. I was originally in LR, I clicked "Edit in Photoshop" and did the edits. I hit "save" in PS, and it saved it as a file named "filename-Edit.tif" instead of the original "filename.NEF". So now my edits aren't showing up in the original photo in LR. Is that normal? Is there another way I should have saved it? Or do I accept that this one file is no longer part of the full directory (I can no longer just "select all" in LR and "export", I'll have to create this jpg separately).

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Uh oh, another question. I was originally in LR, I clicked "Edit in Photoshop" and did the edits. I hit "save" in PS, and it saved it as a file named "filename-Edit.tif" instead of the original "filename.NEF". So now my edits aren't showing up in the original photo in LR. Is that normal? Is there another way I should have saved it? Or do I accept that this one file is no longer part of the full directory (I can no longer just "select all" in LR and "export", I'll have to create this jpg separately).
Yes, it is normal. Once you edit in a pixel based editor such as Photoshop you no longer have a RAW file, so the output can't be a NEF. But you can see the TIF in Lightroom (import it if you need to) so you can have it in your LR database.

Real Name
Randy
the tiff file is usually placed next to the original NEF in LR when you comeback from PS. You may only see the tiff file when you come back to LR and will have to select the view all imported files. If you have any problems feel free to PM me

ah, okay, cool, thanks for the explanation!
I think part of my confusion comes from previous work, where the tif was automatically imported into LR,when I change faces for example (select two photos in LR, "open as layers" in PS, replace the faces to get all smiles in one picture, then save - the new merged photo shows up automatically in LR).
I imported this new tif into LR, and see it there now.

Thanks for the help!!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom