Flag and Horse

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Rick Waldroup, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Saturday, April 14, I was scheduled to shoot a couple of outdoor events, but the weather was terrible and both events were cancelled. So, I'm wandering around the backroads of Texas, lost, when I came across this scene.

The location is Rainbow, Texas.

The camera was a D1x and 85mm 1.8 lens.

2. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Rick,

This a powerful image whether intentional or not. An American flag behind bars with a lock and chain in front. The horse is "locked" in and perhaps yearns for freedom too or for things to go back to what they once were. (real or imagined) Lots of meanings can be drawn by the viewer. I think this is one of the most thought provoking images I have seen when viewed in the context of the country as a whole.

3. I concur with Andy. Very well done

4. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    I keep coming back to this one.

I suppose you could say something about the "Bush" in the middle too but couldn't think of anything clever.

5. Thanks Andy and Dave.

You are right in your assessment of the shot Andy. I drove by this and saw the flag out of the corner of my eye. I turned around and came back. When I got out of the truck, that is when I saw the horse. He was a young guy and as frisky as he could be. It looked like the last place he wanted to be was cooped up in that pen.

That is when I knew what the shot had to be. So I started calling out to him, talking to him and so on trying to get him to get closer to me. The whole time I am doing this, I am shooting away. Finally, right towards the end he moved fairly close and I was able to frame him behind the pen, the way I wanted to.

He was so full of life, while this flag was old, slightly faded, and locked up. I thought it made for an interesting shot.

As far as the bush in the middle- well, I'll just leave that to everyone's imagination.:biggrin: