Critique Flagler College, St. Augustine, FL

Here are some from the campus of Flagler College in St. Augustine, Florida. From Wikipedia...

"Henry Morrison Flagler was an American industrialist and a founder of Standard Oil. He was also a key figure in the development of the Atlantic coast of Florida and founder of what became the Florida East Coast Railway. He is known as the father of Miami."

Also, the Ponce de Leon Hotel was an exclusive luxury hotel built by Flagler and completed in 1888. In 1968, the hotel became the centerpiece of the newly-established Flagler College. The ceiling inside the historic Hotel was one of the more incredible ones that I have photographed--and I've photographed a lot of them! But, public access is limited mostly just to the lobby, because the hotel is now a dormitory for Flagler College.

p3250533578-5.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p3250533622-5.jpg

p3250533579-5.jpg

p3250533577-5.jpg

p3250533645-5.jpg

p3250533607-5.jpg

p3250533576-5.jpg

p3250533647-5.jpg

p3250533617-5.jpg

p3250541511-5.jpg

A few photography notes...
#1 is challenging because the street is constantly filled with traffic and pedestrians. To solve this problem, I took several exposures and blended them in PS--selecting spaces that are free of people and vehicles from each frame.

The ceiling shots are challenging for two reasons. First, trying to align and focus the pictures was always quite challenging with my old D800. That process is far easier with my D850. The D850's rear screen swings out, so I no longer have to try to squeeze under the camera. And, the D850 offers the focus peaking feature. When that's activated, the screen lights the sections of the frame up in red when they are in focus. It ensures tack sharp images under the most challenging conditions.

But, the second challenge with this ceiling is that during my first try it was early in the day and daylight was streaming in from the door. The daylight appears blue in the frames...and with the gold foil type material on the ceiling, sections were blown out...shiny blue. The only way to solve that problem was to return later in the day when the sun was in a more favorable position in the sky. Lately, I am very aware of the sun when shooting interiors. Later, in Tampa, I had to reshoot the interior of a church due to the same issue.

I had to rush to shoot #8. About 1 minute after I captured the image (also a blend), a wedding party occupied that space.

Thanks for looking...and reading!

Glenn

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Intriguing set, Glenn! I especially like #5 and 10. And the close up detailed shots reveal a lot of the "character" of the place.

Beautiful pictures, Glenn. My daughter is a student at Flagler and she has shown us more of the Ponce since she has access. Next time I’m there she is going to see if we can go to the solarium on the roof where she tells me you can see the lighthouse and ocean.

Amazing, such detail and such symmetry!
Thanks Nick
Very nicely done. #8 is actually the western exterior hallway of the Lightner Building which is downstairs from my office. The courtyard there is a popular wedding venue.
Thanks Bobby...yes, I should have disclosed the location of that shot. It's so close to the campus that I included it in this set. I'm still processing images from St. Augustine...then I'll have to start on the Tampa pictures. I think it takes longer to edit the images than it does to take them!
Beautiful pictures, Glenn. My daughter is a student at Flagler and she has shown us more of the Ponce since she has access. Next time I’m there she is going to see if we can go to the solarium on the roof where she tells me you can see the lighthouse and ocean.
Thanks Tony...I would be interested in seeing the dining hall as well. I wasn't permitted to enter that room.

Glenn

Thanks Tony...I would be interested in seeing the dining hall as well. I wasn't permitted to enter that room.

Glenn
Glenn - If you’re going to be in St. Augustine again in the next 3.5 years, give me a heads up and I’ll ask my daughter to talk to campus security.

Glenn - If you’re going to be in St. Augustine again in the next 3.5 years, give me a heads up and I’ll ask my daughter to talk to campus security.
Thank you...and I will certainly do that if I make it to St. Augustine again. The visit prior to this last one was 7 years ago. Hopefully, it won't be that long again.
A very appealing and informative set!

Indeed, Flagler Street is the main street in Miami traveling east and west.
Thanks Mike

Glenn

Real Name
Tim
Flagler College is an amazingly beautiful campus. My daughter had her choice of it or Stetson in Deland. She chose the more cozy campus of Stetson. You have great images of Flagler.

Latest threads

Top Bottom