Flaming Nuisance

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by jgrove, Jul 27, 2005.

1. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    [​IMG]

First image was better but had camera set to ISO 200 :oops: quick change to get a sharper image. (Edited Car Reg out)

D2hs ISO 800 1/60th Wide Open at F2.8
    17-55 AFS DX F2.8 set at 45mm Matrix Metering

2. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    Fantastic shot all in all. Great capture!!

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    With the amount of involvement under the hood and passenger compartment, I'm curious to know what he is paying attention to with his hoseline. :?

4. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Thanks, just as i was shooting in a hurry i set the camera wide but got the tree just in the shot on the right! :(

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The gas tank?

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Well...I suppose, but gas tanks rarely start on fire or explode. Have never witnessed a tank explode in my career. It looks like he's rinsing his boots. I am aware that it is a still shot, whereby he could have been re-positioning the hoseline to a different vantage point. At any rate, the car was a total lose and the fire assuredly went out at some point. His gear looks pretty new, he was probably trying to get it dirty so he doesn't look like a probie.

7. Hey James that is a great shot. Lot's of action and interest. I'm not sure I would want to be that close to a burning car even if I were a fireman.

8. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Our branches (the hose reel gun) get air locked, you have to wind the hose reel gun wide open and back again to displace the air. Its a common problem with them, thats what he was just (finishing) doing.

But becuase most of these cars are dumped in the middle of the night they dont get detected as quick, and the fuel tanks do rupture, and fuel leaks onto the ground and catches fire. The only way to put it out then is to sweep the fire of the top of the burning fuel.

Car fires are very common in large cities in the UK. We have on average 1 car fire every 2 nights.

9. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    jgrove i thought about commenting on the tree :D i just didnt want to critique it, as it was an excellent shot! I am becoming more and more interested in city life/photojournalism.

10. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    I often have to take these pics in a hurry (as i am not there to take pics!) I shot this without looking in the viewfinder! :oops:

11. My first thought was that his boot caught fire :(

Woody