Flamingo

Discussion in 'Birds' started by greyflash, Nov 12, 2005.

1. It's interesting to see the coloration differences in Flamingo's. The ones in the San Diego zoo are really a bright orange/red but have seen others that still retain much of the white with just a tad of color. I realize that the color comes from a shrimp that they eat when in the wild but in captivity it is induced by an additive in their food. In any event, here is a Flamingo from San Diego.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Absolutely gorgeous Gordon. One of the best I've seen of these beautiful birds. :wink:

3. Awesome colors very well done

4. What beautiful image and lighting, Gordon! (I'll be darned, additives to spiff up their colors!!???).

5. Thanks Frank, Mike and Frits. The Flamingo's at the San Diego zoo are some of the prettiest you will see. It takes a couple of years for the young ones to take on this beautiful color.

6. Awesome colors and beautiful lighting, Gordon!!!. I'm always amazed by their neck flexibility.

7. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Gordon, great flowing lines in this image, my compliments on training this bird to get this great shape :) seriously, great capture of a very unique position. Good eye.

Wade

8. bfjr

bfjr Guest

What others have said, color, lighting and throw in composition and you got yourself a keeper/wall hanger!!

Well done Gordon.

9. Dao, Wade and Ben,

Thanks for your comments. These birds can twist their neck around can't they? I kept trying to find one with his head tucked in for sleeping but they just weren't ready for bed. I settled for this image with the bird grooming himself.

10. Gordon:

Excellent. I love the flow of the neck. Great color.

Gil

11. Interesting, the flamingo you have photographed is, I think, what we call over this side of the atlantic a Caribbean flamingo and you in the USA call a Greater Flamingo. Which is confusing as what we call a Greater Flamingo is native to Europe Africa and Asia and is not nearly so red. In fact they are both the same species (Phoenicopterus ruber), the Eurasian bird being a sub-species (Phoenicopterus ruber roseus) of the American bird. At Slimbridge where I volunteer we have both types of Greater Flamingo as well as the 4 other types (James's, Chilian, Andean and Lesser) and as far as I know they all get fed the same special Flamingo food but the colour difference between the American Greaters and the Eurasian Greaters still stays the same - after many generations in captivity, however I will double check on that tomorrow.

12. Good information Dave, thanks for the fill in.

13. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Gordon,
    Very nice, I like the eye of the bird.

14. Gordon,

Wow, love it. The color and clarity and artistry is amazing.

15. this is a beauty Gordon
    Dave

16. Ben, Dave and Jim

Thanks a lot for your kind words. The Flamingo's at the San Diego zoo are beautiful birds.

17. Further to the above, what I said was true a year ago but is not considered accurate now :frown: . Latest research using DNA has indicated that Eurasian Greater Flamingo and American Greater Flamingo are quite distinct separate species.

18. Gordon: Love it. The composition is really creative.

19. Thanks, the actual picture was taken with the head upside down but with a 90 degree CW rotation it made a far better image.