Flash and focus shift shooting - does it work?

Today I tried using my SB-600 on my Z6 to do some indoor focus stack photography. This was the first time I've mounted the flash on my Z6.

The flash works fine when I take a single shot, but when I do a focus shift sequence the flash never fires, not even on the first shot. I don't find anything about that in Nikon's online resources. Their discussion seems to suggest that it should work.

Am I doing something stupid?

It seems to me that Nikon would be able to rather easily figure out a way to automatically turn off silent shooting when the camera detects the flash is turned on. In the case of focus stacking, that could easily be done during the preparation process when the camera automatically does other things beyond the user's control. The camera could then automatically turn silent shooting on again once the camera detects that the flash is no longer turned on.

I do now remember reading that, probably more than once, since I got the Z6. But it didn't really register with me until now. Maybe I'll remember next time, who knows?
I'm surely more likely to remember it because I read it here than because I would read it anywhere else. So, thanks for both making the mistake and asking about it. :)

Last edited:
Fuji also have the same restriction, which is where I came across it first. Olympus appears to have managed to make it work. I don’t use flash a lot but may have to get them out of mothballs as I look for different subjects, and ways to photograph them while stuck at home, e.g. boiling water, water droplets etc.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
It seems to me that Nikon would be able to rather easily figure out a way to automatically turn off silent shooting when the camera detects the flash is turned on. In the case of focus stacking, that could easily be done during the preparation process when the camera automatically does other things beyond the user's control. The camera could then automatically turn silent shooting on again once the camera detects that the flash is no longer turned on.
I’m guessing the philosophy is that one enables silent shooting to prevent the camera from being a distraction. Since the flash can be a distraction, they choose also to disable it in silent mode.

I’m guessing the philosophy is that one enables silent shooting to prevent the camera from being a distraction. Since the flash can be a distraction, they choose also to disable it in silent mode.
You might be right. However...

My notes indicate that silent photography reduces vibrations that otherwise would be caused by the mechanical shutter when the electronic front-curtain shutter is being used. If my notes are accurate, one should always use silent photography when using a tripod because one of the purposes of using a tripod is to accomplish maximum stability. So, if the designers decide that the only reason I want to use silent photography is to eliminate distraction and that I perceive that flash is always a distraction, those designers need to think this matter through again.

It is a technical limitation and not a philosophical one☺

It has been documented in the early months of the Z6/7.

I will see if i can find it.

DG

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom