Flash and slower shutter speeds

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by danmab, Jul 26, 2007.

1. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Let's say I would like to take portrait photos in an informal setting (at a party, a convention, etc) and my setup is a D80, SB600 and the 85mm 1.8

Besides allowing more of the background lighting to come through, is there a difference of exposure quality to the main subject between 1/20th sec and 1/200th sec? Does the flash "negate" movement blur of the subject between different SS?

Of course, I could always try this out, but I am sitting here at work without my camera and it is really weighing on my mind. :biggrin:

2. The flash is of very short duration and the shutter speed has no effect on this up to the sync speed of the camera. By changing the speed at which you take the image, the ambient light plays a part and will either cause the image to be blurred or not depending on what you have it set on. As you change the speed and the aperature, the background will either be dark or light depending on the amount of ambient light and the camera settings.

Some members have found this Tutiki tutorial helpful as they learn to use their flash.

3. There's a two part article on the Strobist site that complements Gordon's Tutiki tutorial.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101-balancing-flash-and.html
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101balancing-flash-with.html