flash commander mode

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by exitnine, Oct 2, 2008.

1. exitnine

exitnine

Jun 5, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Hello, need help on the flash commander mode, long story short, I did a test on the flash commander mode on Sunday, and it work perfect, go to custom setting e3, use the built-in flash to be commander, and put donw "--", that should be turn off built-in flash, and only communicate to the remote sb-800, and it does, set it to group a, channel 1, it work perfect....

BUT, now last night, I did all the reset, (like 2 buttom reset, and reset the custom), and try it one more time, this time, same thing, set the builtin flash as -- and as a commander mode, remote sb-800 fire, but also the built-in flash flash too, why, did I miss something?

Any suggestion will be welcome, many thanks...

2. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    The built-in flash still fires, but before the shutter opens. The sensor shouldn't see the on board flash. So, I guess the question is - did the camera capture BOTH flashes, or are you just seeing the flash fire? The flash "flashes" the commands to the remote unit. That's how it knows which settings the camera needs for proper exposure...

3. orfeas

orfeas

Jul 8, 2008
    greece
    During bright days this thing doesn't work I assume

4. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    it's yet to fail me - even in bright sun using for fill. I guess the range must be reduced, but it hasn't been an issue affecting my usage...

5. bharada

bharada

May 25, 2006
    SF Bay Area, CA
    The only two things I can think of are that the group/channel aren't in sync after the reset, or the remote flash's sensor is not seeing the trigger flash from the camera.

6. loudtiger

loudtiger

Sep 6, 2007
    texas
    on-board flash always fires.