Flash Control

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by gurlzrok, Aug 6, 2008.

1. When someone says they have the fill flash at 1 stop under, or 2 stops under, how do that set that? Are they using the flash in manual or simply dialing down the flash compensation?

Thanks!

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Usually the latter.

3. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Can I jump in here with a question? I can't get the flash comp. to work when I use it off camera, is that how it is should be?

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    If you are controlling it via a Master of some sort (SB800, SU800 etc) the compensation is set on the Master. not the Remote.

5. Kamil

Kamil

Oct 28, 2007
    Oman
    Linda, I see you only have an SB600 and therefore I'm sure it's the in-build D300 flash that is set up as the master. Go to e3 in the the D300 menu for setting up the d300 build in flash as the commander and it opens up another menu to dial in the compensation for the two groups available.

6. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Right, it's the built in I have. Hmmm... it could be tricky doing that while out shooting active kids though.

7. Thanks!

8. for fast adjustment using one flash, does the overall flash comp setting work? I have a D3 (no flash controls) so you'll have to try it yourself.

9. Even if you are in wireless mode the flash compensation on the camera should be able to dial it down . Be carefull though , when you dial in normal exposure compensation on the camera EV it also affects the flash by the same amount and you need to adjust the flash compensation to make up for it . If you dial in -1EV on the camera the flash also drops -1 even though it may be set at '0' . Basically -1 ev on the camera and +1 on the flash = normal flash ['0']

10. No problemo. I just ran a test, and Joe got it right. You don't have to menu dive to change the power of the remote. You can do it with the flash compensation (FEC) button just underneath the button that makes your popup popup. If you are in ttl mode, any adjustment made to FEC will adjust the power of the remote. But if you are using the remote in manual mode, adjusting FEC of the popup will have no effect. And if you are using multiple remotes in different groups, adjusting FEC will change all groups by the same amount and not effect the ratios you've set between them.

11. Kamil

Kamil

Oct 28, 2007
    Oman
    Joe,
    Good tip which I intend to use.

Frank,
    I was about to ask this same point mentioned above which you clarified. Thanks.

12. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Okay, thanks. I always use TTL too. I really need to practice these things better.