Flash Diffuser Issues/Question

I made a diffuser for my SB-600 out of a plastic milk bottle. I seem to have more shadows when I use it. Here is a picture of the diffuser and the shadows. (Pardon the quality, these are quick and dirty basic jpegs.) Is this what to expect if I purchase a Sto-fen product?

dsc_0095_gbenic.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

dsc_0088_gbenic.jpg

dsc_0089_gbenic.jpg

dsc_0090_gbenic.jpg

dsc_0091_gbenic.jpg

dsc_0093_gbenic.jpg

dsc_0094_gbenic.jpg

Flash Diffuser

It's probably acting more as a Focuser instead of a diffusser. A Stofen is also whiter and denser. The Stofen also works best when you use the 14mm wide angle diffuser with it and with the flash head in the upright or 30 degree positions. For $20 you can't go wrong.

Are you shooting it with the flash straight up , or At 90 degrees?

I shoot mine Straight up & does pretty good.

You do seem to get some pretty heavy shodows when using your home built rig. My experience with the Stofen says you will do better with that than the milk jug. I would also try bouncing your flash off the ceiling with the little white card pulled up and the results are quite pleasing.

S

saturnine

greyflash said:
You do seem to get some pretty heavy shodows when using your home built rig. My experience with the Stofen says you will do better with that than the milk jug. I would also try bouncing your flash off the ceiling with the little white card pulled up and the results are quite pleasing.
Well, he's using the SB-600, so he doesn't have the pull-out white card..but could easily make one with white paper and a rubber band ;)

Thanks for the replies everyone. I started shooting straight up (90*) and at 75* in the house. It seems to work well for close subjects. At 90* and about 8-10 feet away, the flash is too dim. It does seem to work at the 75* mark, though. I will have to get a Stofen diffuser. I will also keep on the look out for a darker milk jug. Milk...it does the body good.

Latest threads

Top Bottom