Flash extender for SB-800 & 70-300VR?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by sbruno, Jul 21, 2007.

1. sbruno

sbruno

Jul 20, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Hi all,

I'm heading to Costa Rica in September and plan to take this lens with my D50, among others. I've been told that a flash will help a lot in the rain forest b/c the canopy can be vary dark. So I'll also take my SB-800. Should I also get a flash extender, though? I hear that they are really useful over 300mm, but I've also heard they would be useful with the 70-300 because of the distance of some of the critters I'll be shooting. Any words of experience you may have to offer would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Steve

2. husawis

husawis Guest

Steve - I have been using the Better Beamer on 300 mm plus lenses. Does a great job but I'd spend some time learning how to use it to its best advantage before going on a trip. I made the mistake of not understanding it very well before I went to NZ and had to learn "on the fly." Lighting is very diffuclt to control using Beteer Beamer when subjects are close to minimum focus distance. You can master this however with practice.