Flash Extender-what is it and how use it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeeJay, Apr 2, 2005.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Two weeks ago at the rookery I saw photographers there with funny things sticking out of their flashes. After asking was told they're flash extenders.

So came home and ordered one but still not sure what it does or how to use it. The rookery island is 100 plus feet away from the bank. They said the flash will extend to the island and really helps light up the birds.

I'd appreciate any comments about the flash extender or any sites that would explain it to me.

Also, I have the SB800 and the D2H. Would I just leave the flash on TTL setting?

Thanks very much. I'm going back to the rookery early tomorrow and will take the flash.

Gaye

2. Never heard of such a thing. How far does it extend?

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gaye,

The most popular of these is called the 'Better Beamer' and is basically a fresnel lens that focuses your flash out to a greater distance. I've got one, and it really works. They are relatively cheap too. I think I paid about $35 for mine.

You can find them here:

http://www.naturephotographers.net/gs/gsbb.html

Frank

4. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    That helps and thanks--I'm checking it out right now..'Better Beamer' is a perfect name for one.

Thanks,

Gaye

5. Kirkphoto.com has one too. not sure whic one is better probably both about the same.

What it does is that it helps you about 3 Fstops or so with the flash. Really works. Rory let me borrow his last time we where out, made a huge difference for birds. Rory showed me how to increase the flash output to about +2 on the SB-800, made wonders.

6. Re: Fresnel lens

Frank,

Which one of those models would work with the SB-800?

Thank you for any info you can give me.

7. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Re: Fresnel lens

Melissa, according to http://www.naturephotographers.net/gs/gsbb.html the
    Neil

8. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks to you all. It all sounds good and helpful with birds.

Can hardly wait to try it out,

Gaye

9. Re: Fresnel lens

Thank you Neil, I missed the part about the SB-800. Off I go to order it.

One question, do you think this would be very good for night shooting?

TIA

10. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I have one too!!
    :)
    Jarrell

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Uh, a Xenon flash tube??

12. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Jarrell,
    I can hardly wait to find out what this is. It must be a 'flash extender' but also must be very heavy. Have you ever used it?

We'll all be waiting to read more about this one,

Gaye

13. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    It is an old, from the 60s, flash cube extender that was used on Kodak instamatic cameras to help reduce redeye by lifting the cube up a few inches. You put it where the flash cube would normally sit on the camera and then put the cube on it. It is about 3 or 4 inches long.
    A flash "extender"... :)
    Jarrell

14. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Jarrell,

It jolted my memory when I read 'flash cube' in your description of your flash extender. I hadn't thought of the cubes for years. That sure brings back memories of when my kids were little and I had the old film cameras with the cubes.

Bet many here have never seen or heard of those cubes. I think they came six or more to a package. Can't remember but know we had to keep buying them inorder to get light.

Thanks for the memory and best to you,

Gaye

15. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Gaye, I had to think about it for a while. The cubes came 3 to a package and with 4 bulbs to the cube x's 3 gave you a dozen flashes, the same as in other types/sizes of bulbs.
    Whew.... that was a long time ago.
    Jarrell

16. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Jarrell,

Thanks for remembering about the cubes. Guess that means I'm older because I couldn't pull that up... but sure do remember the cubes.
    I think they were one of the first consumable items in 'marketing' because we had to keep buying them.

Best to you,

Gaye