Flash extender???

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Uncle Frank, Jun 30, 2005.

1. I have a wedding coming up at the end of July, and the bride has asked that I shoot it in PJ style. For my last gig of this sort, I bought the sc29 sync cord, so I could get the sb800 off the camera's hotshoe. But using it required I hold the flash in my left hand, and the d70 with the 28-70/2.8 with my right hand. I found that really uncomfortable, and didn't feel I could stabilize the camera well, so I didn't use the sc29.

I guess a flash extender would solve the problem, but I have no idea how they work, and what to look for in one. Are any of you experienced with this kind of gear?

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I recently bought a Stroboframe flash bracket (I think this is what you mean by Flash Extender in this case) and it works fine with my D2X/SB800. Should work wirelessly with the D70's on-board Speedlight as trigger.

3. marc

marc Guest

go to custom brackets.com

look at cb junior it works graeat and is very strong

it will put flash directly over the lens plane so you will have better flash results

can be tripod mounted also, with adapter

4. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Lightsphere II works quite well in this capacity, gets the flash far enough from the lens to avoid red eye, and indoors creates nice soft light,

It looks uber-dorky tho'

5. Frank,

I bought the RRS "portrait perfect" package. With this fitted onto an L-bracket it provides a very flexible, if mildly heavy arrangement. It is also not cheap.

The really neat thing is, as you turn from landscape to portrait, you flip round the flash, so that it is always above the lens.

I am sure you would love it, and the wedding can pay for it.

6. Steve,

Copied from RRS website

We've responded and are happy to introduce the new B85-B, B87-B and B91-B flash brackets (not compatible with the new Nikon SC29).

7. Jay,

Yes, I'm not quite sure why they didn't make it compatible. However, they can supply a very small adapter that allows it to work.

When in landscape, though, the bracket sits directly in front of the IR transmitter of the SC-29. I haven't noticed any problems, but I cannot see how it would work as it should.

8. papa85

papa85 Guest

Hi Steve, I bought a shortened sb28 cord only 7 links and it works just fine on my RRS portrait perfect package. I use the IR on my sb800. Like the short cord ( From Paragon Cords )gives a real neet look, don't have all the extra cord in my way.

9. But all that extra cord looks cool! I ended up with the CB Jr. flash bracket that Marc recommended, and it works a charm :). I'm all set for that wedding next week.

original.

Seriously, putting up with the long cord is worth it to me, because when I'm taking the formals, with the camera on tripod, I'll be able to hand hold the flash high above and to the side.

Thanks to all for your inputs, which helped me work my way through the confusing issue of flash brackets!

10. marc

marc Guest

frank,

it is a really good bracket, the arm extension is wonderful

i have a question for you, how do you plan on mounting to tripod.

if you want to put it on tripod, go to kirk.com and purchase a arca swiss type camera plate. one that is 2 or three in long

screw that to bottom of cb jr, where the screw is and if your tripod has arca swiss style mount, you can then lock in camera mounted in bracket to tripod

it is very solid

glad you like it, enjoy

11. marc

marc Guest

But all that extra cord looks cool! I ended up with the CB Jr. flash bracket that Marc recommended, and it works a charm :). I'm all set for that wedding next week.

all those cords make you look like you know what your doing!

looks great, a wonderful bracket, glad you like it.

12. JCPhoto

JCPhoto Guest

I have a Strobframe bracket and use it with the Lightsphere 2. Even though it looks like an alien raygun you can flip the flash off to the side which really helps to minimize the shadows or move it into any position that works best. The Lightsphere is about $40. and you can find deals on eBay for decent brackets.

13. The issue of the sc-29's dangling cord keeps coming up, so I spent a little time figuring out a solution. I bought some little velcro straps to organize the cords on the back of my computer, and tried one out as a cord keeper on the CB Junior.

I just threaded the (red) strap through the 3 loops of cord. Binding them together keeps them out of the way when I flip the flash bar, so there's no concern about pinching them.

As you can see, I've also added a LumiQuest soft box to the sb800. I'm shooting a wedding this weekend, and the reception hall has a dark colored ceiling, which rules out bounce altogether. The softbox seems to work better than the diffuser dome for direct shots.

14. papa85

papa85 Guest

HI Frank :D , Looking at your photo of the one with the softbox on the SB800 and it looks to me that you have your SB29 mounted backwards the sensor is facing to the rear. Is that done intensionally ? :?: If so Why. :?:

15. papa85

papa85 Guest

Me again after reviewing the photo. I can see it on top of the camera. :oops: Do you have to always have it facing forword? What if you shut it off and use the sensor on the SB800 would the results be the same???

16. marc

marc Guest

sb29, mountable only one way

you do not need it, only useful for off camera or handheld

sb800 sensor is fine for on camera or bracket, since it is on hotshoe and getting camera info

sb29 needed for off camera, no hot shoe info.

17. The shot is confusing is because I took the picture in a mirror, and forgot to flip the result :roll:. Here's what it should look like.

When the flash is on a bracket, its sensor is not pointed directly at the subject, so using its sensor might not give good results. If you want to mess around with manual settings, no problem, but I'd rather use the wonderful iTTL creative lighting system that Nikon's built into the flash/lens/camera combo. It's much easier on the gray matter :wink:.