1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Flash for a D50

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Flesh Cakes, May 15, 2007.

1. Hi, I have a D50, and I've thinking about picking up a Speedlight flash. I noticed the three main ones out there (400, 600 and 800) and I was wondering which one would be best for my camera. I like the idea of a wireless flash, but I think there are limitations with the D50. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. laawaaris

laawaaris Guest

I have a D50, and I think that the limitation of the camera itself is that it cannot be a commander in a wireless setup. The D200, the D80 and I believe the D70 can all serve as the commanders in a wireless setup (that is, they control other flash units firing off). I believe the on-board flash unit of each of those cameras is what actually is "commanding" the wireless flash units.

With that being said, the SB-800 can in fact act as a commander. The SB-600 unfortunately cannot. I do not know whether the SB-400 can serve as a commander.

The other option is to get a commander unit - which I believe is the SU-200. That can serve as a commander for all remote flashes.

Hope this helps - you can research some of these key buzz terms on the web to get more details.

3. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

It is actually called an SU-800. You would need two units to do wireless...so if you get an sb800 now, you can add an sb600 later and have off camera wireless capabilities.

You can still do off camera flash with a sb600 or sb400 if you buy a separate slave flash unit. You lose any CLS iTTL capability, but you can still shoot flash off camera in manual mode.

The sb800 has a built in SU-4 mode, so if you start there, you can still fire it manually with the d50's built in flash.

4. I have the D50, and bought the SB-800. Greater flash power, remote capability, and the D50 flash can trigger it. But, I hate when I have to use the flash...it does a fantastic job...it's another whole world of learning. Very impressed with what the SB-800 capability!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.