Flash image processing

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Sauk, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    ok I wrote something up today. Again please don't be to hard on me as I am just learning how to write this kind of stuff lol

CC is always welcomed on this article. If you have questions you can call me/email/pm or reply here.

I am a nice guy and a stay at home dad so I have plenty of time to talk on the phone :)

http://matthewsauk.com/blog/2008/10/04/flash-image-processing/

Let me know if this article makes sense at all lol

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2008
  2. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    Why don't you shoot in RAW to begin with if you are opening the JPEG files in Photoshop with ACR? RAW files have the actual data (lossless) whereas JPEG is already a lossy image. If you're manipulating them in ACR you're dealing with less than a full deck, so to speak. (It's late, I hope this makes sense.)

3. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Paul,

It does make sense, but there are a few reasons I don't. One is I shoot for final. #2 is it takes up a lot of space on my cards and on my drive.

The only reason I open them up as raw is to do a quick edit if necessary. If I don't need it I open it same way and just click open again to fully open the image in PS.

If my image is not meant for maxpreps then I will simply adjust in Lightroom and be done since you have the same controls as you would if opening it in PS.

4. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Pretty much what I have been doing in post for flash FB
    KILL brightness bump some fill light in and adjust levels and then bump contrast to liking

5. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Matthew, I don't yet shoot with a flash during night sports, so I don't have any experience with the PP for that type of image. However, I think your article is well written, explains your process well, and makes a lot of sense.

I don't want to spend a lifetime doing PP after sport shooting either, for the same reasons you mentioned. This work flow you have makes short work out of it, and I like it. Thanks for posting it. I'm curious to see what some more folks say about it, but it looks great to me.

6. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    Should be working now. I apologize for that I forgot to add the "/" at the end up the link.

7. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Hey get a LIFE I removed it because I realized you were referring to a different link as opposed to the link to the article- Thus it was a mistake and not relevant You need some Valium my friend

8. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    I am completely confused on what the heck is going on here lol

9. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Matt, Sorry for clogging your thread --Your article is very informative and I enjoyed reading it

10. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    I have added the comparison stuff to a single large contact sheet for easier viewing.

Thanks