1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Flash Indoors - some help/advice please

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by antsplan, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Me again, apologies.

Ok, I have a job tomorrow to photograph a surgeon at her home. I'm due to meet her at 8am so hoping for some nice light and big windows.

Normally I'd shoot using available light but to give me as many options as possible, I'm thinking to try and use the SB800 also. I also have access to a reflector and my wife can assist me.

So can anyone give me some tips for using the SB800 indoors, bearing in mind I'm pretty clueless with Flash, no explanation will be too simple for me :biggrin:

I'd be happy to get it off camera if you think it best and reckon I can get the CLS working and I do have an IR trigger.

It'll be a few typical portrait shots, fairly tight and I must have a shot or two with her hands in the frame so zoomed out a bit further.

Uncle Frank and Greyflash (Gordon) gave me some wonderful advice for using flash outdoors, should i just apply the same theory indoors ?

Any help/advice on the lighting would be much appreciated.

Regards

Anthony

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    To be honest, a job is not the place to be playing with this stuff. I typically use a shoot thru umbrella with a SB800/900 triggered by the SU800. CLS makes it all work pretty easily but you have to know what effect you are getting from the speedlight, and how much ambient you want to mix into the shot.

3. jshurak

jshurak

Aug 14, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Well since you're indoors, there's going to be walls and a ceiling. You can probably get away with bouncing off a wall for a safe shot. But if the walls aren't white, you might come away with some color inconsistencies. If you can drop the ambient lights you might be able to bump up the flssh power and fix the WB later. A brolly is a good idea though. Even Ritz carries them.

4. John I totally agree, I will shoot as per normal to ensure I get a few decent shots, but I was just hoping to throw in the flash for something extra, if the flash shots dont work out hopefully, I'll still have something to fall back on.

Thanks for your input.

5. Thanks Jshurak, I'll practice tonight bouncing the flash but I doubt I'll be able to get an umberella at short notice in Scotland. I'll look at adding one for the future.

6. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Thought everyone in Scotland had an umbrella :biggrin:

Remember that you can bounce off the reflector if nothing else is available. If your reflector cover comes off - and leaves a diffusor underneath - you can shoot through that for a nice soft light.

7. LOL :biggrin: Very true John re the umberella's in Scotland.

Great idea about shooting through the reflector.

Thank you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.