Flash Lust: SB-800

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by helmet155, Aug 11, 2005.

1. I want to improve my hummer photos and would love the SB-800 for wireless i-TTL usage from my D70!

I don't use the disposable as in my avatar anymore, for some reason my Nikkor glass wouldn't mate up...

Next on my list is the SB-800 for sure...buydig.com has them for about $270 after rebate after shipping...seems like a great deal...

2. After you get it try a Lightsphere II for people photos, It gives a very nice diffused light for skin tones

3. Maybe I can save you a few bucks in your quest for better hummer pics. Multiple flash heads is the right idea, but forget about wireless ittl. The little beasties are too small a part of the frame and too dark to bounce enough light back to the flash to turn it off. And if you tried to use wireless, they'd be gone sometime between the preflash and the flash.

My solution has been to use the sb800 on the hotshoe as my main flash, but in GN mode rather than ittl. I just dial in the distance. For the auxialiary flashes, off to the sides, I use a pair of inexpensive ($69) Vivitar DF200 slaves, which have built-in optical sensors, and trigger off the light pulse from the SB800. The Vivitars operate in manual mode, and I usually set them at 1/16 power. I adjust the contribution of the slaves by moving their stands, and it only takes a few shots to work out the correct exposure by trial and error.

Here's what the result looks like. Note that I cloned out the extra catchlights in his eyes.

original.

4. Greg,

Where did you buy your Lightsphere II . Do you know what the going price is right now.?

5. Uncle Frank thanks for the detailed response that is awesome.

I should have the SB-800 within the next week and I'll begin with just that and possibly adding the vivitars later!

I'll wait to get the complete setup before asking any more questions, it's going to take a little bit of a learning curve to learn all the flash modes and how to work the slave flashes...

Thanks again!

-Brett

6. Lightsphere II

Lightsphere is made by Gary Fong. It sells for about $40. It eliminates shiny foreheads and diffuses the light for great skin tones. Looks a little funny though, like a milk jug.

Examples of how it works are here:

http://www.digitalphotographers.net/n80/

To order go here:

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/index.asp?catid=13406&fileID=4917

If you order be sure to specify the SB-800.

I first learned of it from a wedding photographer and bought one that week for a wedding shoot. Now I use it for all people photos. I use it alone in TTL on the hot shoe or with a SC-29 & flash bracket. It will work with remotes if you use Master-Remote mode. This photo is right out of the camera, I want to crop the window some, but it gives you the idea.
    For this I used TTL-BL with one flash, SC-29 and Stroboframe Pro-TL
    17-55 2.8 DX

[​IMG]

7. Lightsphere II

Lightsphere is made by Gary Fong. It sells for about $40. It eliminates shiny foreheads and diffuses the light for great skin tones. Looks a little funny though, like a milk jug.

Examples of how it works are here:

http://www.digitalphotographers.net/n80/

To order go here:

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/index.asp?catid=13406&fileID=4917

If you order be sure to specify the SB-800.

I first learned of it from a wedding photographer and bought one that week for a wedding shoot. Now I use it for all people photos. I use it alone in TTL on the hot shoe or with a SC-29 & flash bracket. It will work with remotes if you use Master-Remote mode. This photo is right out of the camera, I want to crop the window some, but it gives you the idea.
    For this I used TTL-BL with one flash, SC-29 and Stroboframe Pro-TL
    17-55 2.8 DX

[​IMG]

8. stm69

stm69

Aug 10, 2005
    How well do you like it compared to the original diffuser that comes with the SB800 greg, or anyone else?

Ironically I was just about to try and order a replacement for mine, in my haste packing for my last trip, I left it in the hotel.... hot spot city for me! =/

My main concern is the looks, it does look.... odd. How large would you say it is?

Sam

9. Maybe 4 inches in diameter and about 6 inches high, yes it looks odd. People stare at it to figure out what it is.

10. debult

debult

Jun 11, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Sam: mind the original diffuser is has a specific design to activate the "switch"on the SB800 head.

11. debult

debult

Jun 11, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Lighsphere looks promising.

I too am interested in the comparison to the original diffuser.

12. stm69

stm69

Aug 10, 2005
    I shot some club stuff this last spring break with a friend who had a SB600. I had looked at both before I decided on the SB800 since I thought it was for the most part superior.

It is a nice flash, but one weakness that it has, is ironically what I thought a strength! The SB800 can put out more light, yes.... but it takes longer to recharge back up. Hence in the close type shots that we did, my friend could burst shots for longer/faster with the SB600 than I could. Not an extreme difference, say 2 extra shots over 2-3 seconds, but it could have been the difference between a good shot and a bad shot with fast action.

Other than that, I love my SB800.

Sam

13. stm69

stm69

Aug 10, 2005
    Switch? My SB800 is 300 miles away atm, darn, now you got me wondering what switch =) I think I'm gonna try and sneak a lightsphere in, wonder if wife will notice :shock:

Sam

14. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Sam, if you sue the 5th battery option it will recycle much faster

15. stm69

stm69

Aug 10, 2005
    Dog ate it! :lol:

Seriously, I played around with it when I first got the camera and upgraded to the rechargable batteries that are recommended in the user manual. Unfortunately haste makes waste, so I forgot to back the battery door on the trip =/

Sam

16. debult

debult

Jun 11, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Underside of the reflector, approx 1 inch from the left.