Flash Optical slave question - help needed

Up until recently ive always used Yongnuo flashes and sometimes on jobs rather than using wireless triggers for the remote flashes I just set them to optical slave mode and allow the on camera flash to activate them.

Since buying my SB700 this no longer works (using the SB700 on camera and the yongnuos off camera), the flashes do fire, but they arent in sync with my shutter so they are either firing slightly early or slightly too late (I cant decide which).

Ive looked the obvious such as shutter speed etc but nothing seems out of the ordinary. Can anyone help me out here?

Hi,

Is the SB700 on manual or A mode ?
If the SB700 is on i-TTL, it will do a "double flash", causing the optical slaves to fire too early.

Hopefully this helps ....

That must be it, the yongnuo has 2 slave modes and is supposed to pick up the pre flash, which it does with other yongnuos, but I guess it's not working so well with the sb700. I'll give that a try, thanks for the reply :)

There are a few modes. If the SB-700 is in Commander mode (called Master mode, SB-700 manual page D-6), it cannot trigger any optical slave in sync. Too complex, totally incompatible with optical slaves. It expects to be communicating with intelligent remotes, not dumb slaves.

Otherwise, the Yongnuo two slave modes are supposed to handle Manual flash or iTTL flash (SB-700 manual pages C-3 and C-7). No bets though, I don't have them to really know, but that is the idea.

Yongnuo has two slave modes for the optical sensor on their flashes.
S1 is "instant" optical slave - the flash will flash as soon as it "sees" another flash - including pre-flashes. It's used when you are doing manual flash on your master flash.
S2 is also called “pre-flash cancel mode”. This mode is similar with S1 mode, but it can ignore the pre-flash given by TTL flash. Therefore, it can support the main flash working in TTL mode. If you cannot use S1 without it going off early, then try to use S2 mode.

I know I ran into this issue when I first got them when using the 565 as the master but it seems in either mode they wont work with the SB700, its very strange but I can live with it, it just means ill rely more on the triggers :)

Manual triggers are cheap. If optical is not reliable for you, then swap over to something that is.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom