1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Flash power for night football?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Voyager1968, Sep 12, 2008.

1. My editor has told me that he uses, and prefers, that all photographers use flash at Friday night HS games. My question is, with a speedlight (SB-600) what power should I use? I want to be able to get light out onto the field at a fairly good distance, but I don't want to blow out any reflective numbers/letters, etc. Please help since I do have a game tonight.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Steve, here is a thread that I created last football season on what settings I used along with some examples to view. These were taken with a D2H, so I would assume that the images from your D300 would be much cleaner.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    There are many things about this subject on FM if you ever want to do a search over there.

I would start though with 1/250 ISO 800 and work your flash around from there.

Most people that is a very good starting point camera setting wise. You will then adjust your flash from there to get the correct balance.

4. Thanks! As luck would have it's raining now, and is expected to continue throughout the day and evening, so another challenging night is in store.

5. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Steve, I'm in the same boat. I'm hoping to get on the field tonight, I have a two SB-800 set up for my monopod on PWs. It'll be the first time i try it and it may still be raining....

6. Man, it just doesn't look good. :frown:

bgm_None_anim.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Constant light rain in the western suburbs of Chicago too. Even though I have Aquatech gear for my camera and lens, I just can't get enthused about shooting in the rain. I was supposed to shoot horse jumping tomorrow with StL Don, but more rain is expected. Looks like the perfect weekend to catch up on editing images from the summer. :redface:

8. Well, our game is postponed until tomorrow night. I guess the school officials felt the field was too wet to risk injury to the players.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.