Flash Problem

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by DarkGT, May 27, 2007.

1. DarkGT

DarkGT

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I have a Quantary QDC 900WA bounce flash that is designed to work with Nikon's iTTL system. Several times recently on my D50 I have had to cycle the power or completly re-seat the flash on the shoe because I would shoot and the image would be black. Almost as if the flash were firing before the shutter opens. The flash fires everytime but only one out of 5 pictures or so looks right unless I re-seat or cycle power. I put the same flash on the stroboframe and the hot shoe cord connected to my D200 and am having the same problem. The D200 is 2 days old so I think that rules out a camera issue and points more towards the flash. If the flash is in manual mode, it fires fine and I can still hear the flash zooming in sync with the lens. Any thoughts? Time to upgrade to the SB-800?

2. Sounds like a connection problem....have you cleaned all of the contacts? I have had the same type of problem with my SB800 off-camera and a good cleaning fixed the problem.

Mike

3. DarkGT

DarkGT

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks, I will give that a shot. Hadn't thought of that yet!

4. DarkGT

DarkGT

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Okay I just tried to clean the leads on everything with rubbing alcohol. No noticable debris came off. Also, as I am firing test shots it seems that on the shots that come out severely under exposed the flash is only firing once. It is my understanding that with iTTL a reference flash is fired first then the camera processes it and adjusts and then tells the flash at what intensity to fire for the shot. On the shots that are coming out (1 in every 8 to 10) I can see the reference flash firing and then the flash fires for the shot. On the shots that don't its almost as if the only time the flash fires is for the reference and no secondary is firing which would explain the underexposure issue. I have fresh batteries in the flash and have checked the cleanliness of the power leads. Everything appears to be okay. The same thing happened on my D50 which is much less configurable than my D200 so I am not sure where to start troubleshooting the camera settings but according to the book everything looks right. *Frustrating*

5. Were you using commander mode on camera? If so , the camera needs to be returned to ttl.

Just another thought,
    Mike

6. DarkGT

DarkGT

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Went back to Ritz camera. The lady behind the counter said that there are known issues with the Quantary flashes not syncing with some cameras. I politely asked her why they sell them then and she said that not everyone wants to pay for an SB800. I said thats cool so you sell these then in a year when they don't work you sell them the SB800? She had no response. They said they couldn't do anything for me, not even a price break on the SB800. Last time I set foot in that place. Oh well, live and learn right?

7. DarkGT

DarkGT

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Problem solved. Went out and bought an SB800. I used the Quantary as a slave with a shoot through and got great results after a bit of tweaking. Pics are in the portrait section C&C is always appreciated.