Flash settings when outdoors....

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Removed User 3, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Grey sky and very little sun out.

Need something to give a little lift to pics.

SB600...TTL and dialled in -2.0.

Too much too little ?

Any suggestions ?

2. kilm53

kilm53 Guest

Something I need to practise as well..let me know the outcome..LoOOoL:eek:

3. Where you come from Kilm ?

We need answers not more questions ?????:biggrin:

4. Miguel

Miguel

May 12, 2006
    Norwalk, CT
    You might want to try TTL-BL for outdoors. This will balance the flash output with the ambient light, but only works in P, A and S modes. In this flash mode you can dial the flash down to make it look more natural.

Your other option would be to shoot in Manual and set you aperture and shutter speed for the background, you may want it slightly underexposed or properly exposed, that's up to you. Then with your flash in TTL mode you can dial it in to what looks good.

Hope this helps.

A couple of examples:

Direct Flash, TTL-BL, 0.3 ev, 1/200, f/7.1, ISO 100

TTL-BL, GF LSII w/inverted dome pointed directly at subject, 0 ev comp., 1/60, f/5.6, ISO 400

original.

5. I did something like that for this shot.

It works, Sparky, but it's more of an art than a science. Best to take the shot, check the result, and adjust to taste. You might prefer -2.0, where I prefer -1.0.

6. Depends on how strong the lighting in the back really is and how close the subject is. I'm usually using -0.7 on the flash power in TTL-BL mode.

7. Thanks Guys. I have avoided using TTL-BL but guess I better start experimenting then.

8. it's one of the most awesome things ever, but usually it takes about 2-3 shots to get down. Just a matter of looking at what you got after you take it.

9. Thanks Frank.

Will give a go. All situ are different.

10. Have tried last night with range of shots from -0.7 to -2.0 to see difference.

11. Thanks Andrew and all for responce.

When do you guys use TTL and when use TTL-BL ?

12. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    I shot this picture of my daughter yesterday. She was standing in the shade, Flashmode on SB800 set to TTL and Flash Exposure Comp. set to -1.

570419429_bff937e280_b.

13. Everything's beautiful... the lighting, the background, and, of course, the subject! Congratulations, Rick.

14. Rick727

Rick727

Jun 1, 2007
    Hamilton, NJ
    Thank you Frank.

I've really enjoyed reading all of your posts and admired all the pictures you share here. You certainly know what your doing and I try to learn from your examples. I've also been doing a lot of reading at the Strobist site and hope to buy some more equipment soon and put into practise what I've been reading.

Thanks again Frank.

15. That is one great shot Rick and sure your daughter is proud of it.

16. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia

Frank was the flash direct? I'll be up early tomorrow morning 6am to take some pictures of a running event involving special needs kids for my department.

Cheers :smile:

17. Yes, it was direct, but the flash was off-camera on a stand off to the side, and it was fired through a white umbrella.