Flash Shoe Ballhead

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Milkman, Sep 7, 2008.

1. I see that a Justin Clamp has a great ball head with it. I plan on getting a couple of those shortly.

What I am wondering is if there is just a mini-ball head with a hot shoe on it similar to what the Justin Clamp has?

Thanks,

Chris

2. I'm one of the 44 people who have read your post, and don't quite understand what you're after. Why do you want a mini ballhead for your flash? If you use an umbrella bracket on a lightstand or tripod, you'll have freedom to aim your flash up or down, and to rotate it in any direction.

These brackets only cost $15. And they give you the option of adding an umbrella as a light modifier later on if you choose.

3. I have more than one of those brackets. They work fine. They are hard to place and direct if you want better aim for your flash. I'm sure seeing some of your pictures you have experianced this.

I was at a seminar with David Tejada and saw a Justin Clamp, which was just an amazing thing that contained a mini ball head. You could direct it much better than with the above bracket.

For those times when a Justin Clamp wouldn't do I wondered if I could just use the mini-ballhead. David was not aware if they were even available so i thought I would check here.

The bracket would and does work fine, but if you haven't worked with a Justin Clamp and it's ball head I would suggest you do, it makes things so much better and easier.

4. RichNY

RichNY Guest

Chris- I have a JC and really like it but there is also a definite need for a small ballhead on its own for use on a magic arm attached to a superclamp for example. So far the best solution that I've found is a Bogen 482 $35 ballhead with an inexpensive flash shoe adapter attached to the top. I've attached the JC to superclamps and the magic arm (rather than using the JC's clamp spring) but if you aren't going to use the clamp spring the JC is a bulky item to bring along.

The head on the JC attaches with a screw at the bottom and doesn't use a stud type mount.

5. Hey Chris,

I've used micro ball heads with the hot shoe platform, sadly they always seem to be sub standard when it comes to reliability and quality.
    You'll find they don't want to tighten up properly causing your rig to flop all over the place.

These little guys are the bomb, just screw on a cold/hot shoe adaptor and you'll be satisified.
    They tighten up real tight and securely.

I use them with a super clamp to mount/attach speedlights in places that your average light stand fails to.
    Works real well.

Hope it helps

T.

6. Perfect!!

Thanks guys that is exactly what I am looking for.

Off to order.

Thanks again.

7. rampal

rampal

May 4, 2008
    @Newbury, UK
    There is a verison of the Cullmann small 40150 ballhead which in one side of the head stop screw (don't know how it is called) has the common rubber to tight the camera body, but on the other it has a plastic hotshoe holder. if it works with the SB-900 I might end up picking one myself.

edit: this one:Cullmann 40150

[​IMG]

that thing underneath the round screw is a hotshoe holder. You put it upside down and you're done: a ballhead with flash holder, strobist style!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
  8. Thanks everyone. I've got some on the way.

Can't wait to try them out.

9. rampal

rampal

May 4, 2008
    @Newbury, UK
    Just arrived from the store, with one of these Cullmanns. Very nice, holds tight, it is light, a good companion for my Manfrotto's 035 and Justin Clamps (provided that you use an spigot).

However (why always there must be one?), it is a really tight fit on the SB-900.... but it is fine with all others (SB-800, SB-80DX, SB-28, SB-26).

10. Also not quite sure what you want but Nikon came out with a cls kit a while back that came with a mini tripod w/ ball head and cold shoe. It also had a clamp with attached ball head and cold that can go a lot of places others can't. Oh and a case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.