Flash softbox/modifiers

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by triangular, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Is anyone here using the Lumiquest or Lastolite Micro Apollo softboxes for flash? What about the Omnibounce?

The omnibounce is very cheap and small, yet gives a nice warmth. The Micro Apollo comes in three sizes and I like the way it's more of a real softbox that fits right over the flash. The Lumiquest I wonder if it really provides enough light or works with shadows as well as the Apollo.

Damn its hard to choose when you're seeing everything only online!

Any experience with any of these?

2. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I am using Photoflex softboxes in small, medium, and large sizes with my SB600/800 setup. It worked well with the D70 at iso200 but I wonder if they will have enough power for the D2x at iso100.

Parts break down for the softbox to speedlight mount is...

Chimera Speed Ring for Canon and Nikon Shoe-Mount Flashes

Stroboframe Flash Mount Adapter - Standard Shoe Type

My large softbox is this one...
    Photoflex LiteDome Q39 Softbox, White Interior for Flash Only - Large - 36x48" (91x122cm)

I already had some cheap light stands from an old hot light setup so I added this to make the angles adjustable.
    Photoflex Heavy Duty Swivel Mount

This may or may not be what you are looking for. If not disregard. :wink:

3. Have you used this softbox set up to do any product or still life photography? I have spent the past several weeks going back and forth between using my collection of old Nikon flashes (SB80DX, SB28 and SB26 with SU-4's) with the Photoflex softboxes you mentioned vs buying a set of 400 Alien Bees to replace my Nikons.
    I am considering getting into doing some product photography (Arts & Crafts, Jewelry and 2D Art) to support the local arts & craftspeople with images for Juried Shows, print and web advertising. I was considering trying to use my existing flash equipment to get started, then buying studio strobes down the road when it gets rolling.
    Comments?

4. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I think they would have enough power for that. There is a bracket so that you can use more than one flash in a softbox if you need more. Remember, smaller the object the smaller the softbox can be and the more light you will have for your subject.

For product shots I use hot lights and a tripod.

5. Good Inputs! Thank you
    From what I have been able to determine, I need to be able to handle objects that range from the size of rings (we have a number of excellent local Native American jewelers) to sculptures that can be as large as 24" x 24" which maybe pushing the flashes quite a bit. You bring up an excellent point, perhaps I should be considering using hot lights for my product work.
    Maybe buy a 24x32 and a couple of 16x22 Photoflex Tungsten Silverdome softboxes with Chimera speedrings for a Nikon shoemount flash. If my flashes cant handle the job, then I can always buy 3 Photoflex Starlite fixtures and speedrings along with some 500w-1000w tungsten bulbs which would give me a pretty flexible set up.
    Thoughts? :confused:

6. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    While I love me flash setup, for this type of photography I would go with the hotlights. You can see where your highlights and shadows will be and that makes it easier for you to add depth to the images.

Just my opinion, and I suggest you get info from others as well. :wink:

7. I'm using the Lumiquest softbox version that fits directly over the flashhead.

In cases where direct flash is required (outdoors, or indoors where the ceiling is very high or painted a dark color), I feel it results in better pictures than the sb800's flash dome. Here's some recent examples.

Outdoors

View attachment 14354
    View attachment 14355
    View attachment 14356
    View attachment 14357

Indoors

View attachment 14358
    View attachment 14359
    View attachment 14360
    View attachment 14361

8. Frank,

I nearly bought the Lumiquest, but still haven't bought anything similar yet either. From your pix I can see it's advantage, but the shots outdoors do look better to me than the indoor shots. I just wonder how the Apollo or Omnibounce would compare. I wish I had a local store that carried these things.