Flashes!

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by gt6jim, Apr 18, 2007.

1. gt6jim

gt6jim

Feb 15, 2007
    Worcester, UK
    A friend is off to NY, NY tonight, and shes under strict instructions to bring back an SB-800 pour moi!

Something is puzzling me tho.
    In the Nikon press it mentions working wirelessly, yet in the accessories listed for it only cables are listed.
    I assume there is some trigger which plugs into the hot shoe in your camera to trigger the flash, but what?

Also does the included stand mount to tripods?

I assume the SB-600 does not 'do' wireless?

Cheers chaps and chapesses!

2. gt6jim

gt6jim

Feb 15, 2007
    Worcester, UK
    Never mind I've just spotted an article on Ken Rockwell.
    D80 is built in wireless! Who'd a thunk it! Free wireless!

3. marksayer

marksayer Guest

The 600 (and I guess the 800 will be the same) are both triggered remotely by the built in speedlight on the camera - so you will need that little fella popped up to fire your new toy when it arrives!

I remote my 600 from both my D70s and my D200, and the beauty of the D200 is that you can adjust the flashunit strength from the camera.... amazing!!!

How much are you getting the 800 for Jim?

Mark

4. Jim - It is "wireless" in the sense that no wires are required. Communication between camera and flash is through visible/IR light pulses.

5. gt6jim

gt6jim

Feb 15, 2007
    Worcester, UK
    Just been reading Kens site, its amazing, I never would have dreamt that it work by sensing the camera flash!

Mark,
    Should be getting it via B&H or 17th St and its approx $300 - £150, which is HALF what Jessops would try to extract from you, and about 50-60 less than eBay; plus less chance than being stung for VAT/Import.
    So all in all I'm well happy.

If the 800 is out then I'm settling for the 600, just checking it was wireless capabilities too.

How do you find the 600? any examples?

Cheers, Jim

6. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    yes both the SB-600 and SB-800 offer the same wireless abilities in remote (slave) mode. the SB-800 will act as a master and control up to 3 groups of flashes. the D80 and D200 will control up to groups and the D70/s will control 1 group.

7. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
  8. gt6jim

gt6jim

Feb 15, 2007
    Worcester, UK
    Hey guys, I got the SB-800 in the end:biggrin:
    Awesome piece of kit, I (my friend) paid $350 in the end. More than I thought, but still waaaay less than UK!

Really happy, the wireless is awesome!!

If anyone is wavering about getting a flash, get the 800 it is just so good!!

473778694_2462209d8e.

9. Phone your friend in NY and get the SB-800 AND a Better Beamer

10. gt6jim

gt6jim

Feb 15, 2007
    Worcester, UK
    LOL, too late mate, she's back!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.