1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Flashgun with Studio Lights

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by shepx2, Sep 29, 2008.

1. shepx2

shepx2

Oct 4, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    A friend wants me to shoot their dance troupe's headshot portraits, against a white background. I have been wanting to buy a portable backdrop kit for a while, so this gives me an excuse to do so.
    However, my budget is tight right now, so I am in a dilemma. I am trying to put together a complete strobist-type kit, consisting Sb800's/600's, and a separate studio light kit, but can't afford to get everything I need right now.
    I currently have 2 speedlights, and am considering getting 2 cheap studio lights to use for lighting the backdrop until funds allow a full complement?

Does anyone have any experience mixing studio lights with flashguns? Is this a good idea for the time being, until I can afford both a flash kit for location and a complete studio lighting setup?

2. WayneF

WayneF

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    There is no problem mixing them, so long as the Nikon speedlights are in Manual flash mode. The studio lights are manual too, and cannot be mixed with the Nikon iTTL or Commander systems (but they all play nice together in Manual mode). I use SB-800s with AlienBees studio lights without issue.

The SB-800 has its SU-4 mode, where it becomes another optically triggered manual light, same as the studio lights. Works great together. The SB-600 provides no support for remote manual operation however.

3. An actual SU-4 will solve the problem of a flash that does not have an SU-4 mode. Sometimes you can find them used at a decent price.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.