1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Flashing the flowers

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 16, 2008.

1. I've never been a fan of flower pictures taken with flash. But now that I routinely use off-camera flash for people pics, I decided to experiment on the roses in my front yard. I used the late afternoon sunlight for fill, and an sb800 at camera left for the main.

original.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 222626

View attachment 222627

All three photos taken with the 28-105mm Nikkor at full zoom and wide open.

2. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    To be honest Frank I can't see any evidence that you've used flash in these shots... I guess that's a sign of good technique. Like you I'm not so keen on flower shots when the flash is used.

They're lovely flowers in what I guess is lovely (but somewhat flash enhanced) lighting, thanks for sharing these. I hope to see more soon

3. Thanks, Robert. I'm going to experiment with the technique, but it seems that simply taking the flash off the camera improves the result dramatically.

4. Robert and I always agree in our comments, great non-intrusive flash use. #1 is my pick of the litter! 2 & 3 look a little hot...

5. Very nice, Frank. All lovely images, although #1 is my favorite. Is there anything you can't do well with the camera?:smile:

6. Sanford504

Sanford504

Mar 27, 2008
    Yeadon, PA
    Great shots. Excellent example of what "fill flash" should look like. Well done!

7. Very nicely done.
    I bet you will be using flash in your flower photography more often from now on.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.