Flashing Tip without a Raincoat

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Larry Gleason, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Most here are seasoned photographers and know the little tricks and tips for flash photography. But just in case someone might be helped with a tip, I did a C/P from another topic thread for more widespread reading. The tip applies to all the new flash units and not just the 800. Let me know if this was new to you.

The 800 should have a white card with writing (guide info) on the back (white surface in front) that is recessed at the back edge of the flash top. If you have not found/used it before, pull it up when using flash tilted. That will throw light out as well as up. Card can be used part way up or all the way out and it helps to control amount of light that you want to throw out. Very useful when ceilings are too high or too dark to bounce the flash (use with a proper ceiling too). Also can be used for close outdoor fill flash but in all cases, it does require practice. I bounce the flash off the card in probably 90% of my indoor shoots. On rare occasions I will drape a tissue or open napkin over the flash when bouncing to knock the flash down when bouncing. Close ups of food dishes would be an example for good technique. Gives better even tones without hotspots.

2. Hi Larry,

That is a good tip. I too use the white card for a good share of my flash shooting. It works great for flash fill. Just a little side story, my daughter who is a Cannon shooter had been using her flash for some time and had taped a white card to the back of her flash. Knowing that her flash was new I couldn't believe even Cannon wouldn't have put a pull up card in her flash. Sure enough I looked at her flash and found the card and pulled it up. My daughter was a little embarrased.

3. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Lol, on a Canon user even if she is your daughter. I would have expected new Canon flash units to have the card. I left off from the original post that pros used to tape a piece of cardboard to the back of the flash in the old days as you described. I think some may have even taped a piece to the front to knock down the hard glare which would serve as a diffuser.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Larry and everyone else:

Please, please do not assume that everyone here is an expert or even an experienced photographer. I personally know several that are rank beginners (especially me), so we need all the help we can get. :p

This is a great tip. Give us more any time you feel the urge.... :wink:

Thanks,

Frank

5. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Be glad to but people need to say something when they get a tip that helps. Ignoring them can imply a lack of interest. Many things that I have learned come from tips that I learned from pros out in the field. I didn't invent them. Sometimes we all (at any level) work out a routine that we don't give thought to and this is the place to share. We all are learning and there is always something to learn. Sometimes we just don't know it until we hear the answer because we didn't know the question (did I say that? I hope that it made sense :? ).

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    It makes complete sense to me.... :wink:

Thanks,

Frank

7. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Larry, thanks for the tip. Now all I need is a flash. :lol:

It's on the wish list, but seriously this tip will come in useful in the long run and like Frank I'm always anxious for tips that can improve my photography.

Neil