1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Flatout best monitor for under $300?

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by zack baldwin, Jul 28, 2008.

1. zack baldwin

zack baldwin

Apr 30, 2007
    NC
    Ive read into monitors and ips, pvn, etc etc. Its like a jungle!
    I dont care about size, all I want is the best monitor for photo editing that is ideally under $300, and I need it to be compatible with calibration hardware.
    If you have the time, just tell me what your opinion is on the best photo-editing monitor and why. I would REALLY appreciate it.
    Also, random question, but if I get a macbook in the future, I want this monitor to be compatible (if thats possible)
    Thank you so much!

2. Blooze

Blooze

Mar 8, 2008
    texas
    Zack, if you don't mind me hitching a ride on your post, I'm looking for the exact same thing. I have a junky little laptop with a horrible monitor on it that I'm using now.

...Shane

3. Blooze

Blooze

Mar 8, 2008
    texas
    Bump for Zack.

4. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    If it wre me

would start with CNET.COM reviews and then view the ones that meet my needs at Fry's or whatever the equivalent B&M store is in your area. Would make sure I purchased locally with the option to return in 30 days if it does not meet my needs (BB/CC/Frys).

5. bqv1910

bqv1910

Aug 28, 2007
    Dallas, TX
  6. Wrong day to ask.....

I'm the wrong guy to ask right now. I had a wonderful 20" normal 5:4 DCL monitor that when calibrated gave superb color....after 2.5 years it just went "pfft". I'm about to find out if it can be shipped back for repairs at reasonable cost (only 1 year warranty).

I bought a replacment Samsung 22" widescreen to replace it...it goes into auto mode by default and is way too bright. After figuring out with help of the emanual how to lock out the auto and adjust brightness and contrast to their midpoints, my Spyder2 calibration did its job and photos look pretty good (although not quite up to the DCL standard). Just took delivery yesterday afternoon (from Tiger Direct) and this morning...bzzzzt...a vertical green line about two inces from the left side (see pic below). Needless to say, I AM BUMMED!!

original.

Sorry for the rant...just the wrong day to read your post....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2008
  7. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I hope

Tiger replaces it for you. I read on another forum about LCD's getting this verticle line problem...but usually it is in the center.

Best of Luck!!!

8. Thanks, Ed. They either replace it or they never get another order from me. It does carry a three year warranty so worst case, Samsung should take care of it. But what a pain!

H

9. The 24" is probably a bit above the $300 budget, but I can whole heartedly recommend the 20" version of the same, the Dell Ultrasharp 2009W Widescreen. Although it is around $450 in Europe, if you buy it in the US it will only cost you $289....

The 20" uses the same panel as the Apple 20" Cinema Display, and has all the stuff you need like support for both VGA and DVI-D, 5ms response time, built in USB ports, adjustable stand etc

I have been using one for 3 or 4 years and have not had a problem, and they come with 3 year warranty in case you do

Oh, and I have used it with a PC, a PowerMac G5, a MacBook Pro, and a MacPro - it's compatible with all

10. Your best bet is to try and find a crt monitor, unless you have serious money to spend on a lcd, it's not worth getting one.
    Here's an article about that on shootsmarter. You may need to register, it's a very good site.

11. TomaS

TomaS

Aug 3, 2006
    Corrales, NM
    I am researching this too. The Dell 2009W uses (older) TN panel technology. The 2007FP or 2007WFP use s-IPS which is usually recommended as being superior. Wider viewing angle for one thing. It is selling on the Dell site for $400 and on ebay for 299-350. For another $200, the 2408WFP should be a good way to go.

UPDATE: i just purchased a Dell 2005FPW used on Amazon for $200. It uses the same S-IPS panel tech as the 2007WFP model. for some strange reason, 2007WF is not available at the Dell site. But they are on eBay.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  12. billg71

billg71

May 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    I use two Viewsonic VP930B's. I just checked Google and it looks like they run $310-$350 at most places.

It's a 4:3 19" display but it calibrates well, is stable and at 110cd/m2 it matches the output from my printers very closely. It has color temp presets and brightness/contrast adjustments. Resolution is 1280x1024 @ 70hz refresh, 96 dpi.

Amazon has it for less than $300.00: http://www.amazon.com/VP950B-19-Inc...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1220828661&sr=8-1

If you can live with the 4:3 format it's pretty decent for the cost range. My NEC is due to arrive tomorrow, I could make you a deal on one.

HTH,
    Bill

13. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv

14. Harry, that green line is the monitor's way of telling to clean up your desktop :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.