Fledgling ID...?

Almost a week ago, we found what I'm pretty sure is a fledgling that had fallen out of its nest, but managed to work its way over to one of our bushes. I'm fairly certain it's a fledgling, based on the state of the feathers, but am not sure. Poor thing can't fly, yet, and its parents can't seem to find a strong enough spot in the bush to feed him, so I'd like to help. I think it's able to get on the ground under the bush to forage, but if I can supplement with wild bird seed or something more appropriate until it can fly, I'd love to do that.

From the pics, can anyone tell what kind of bird this fellah might be? We're in So. IL (US) and his parents are smaller, brilliantly black birds, but definitely not crows.

Thanks for any input.

Squab-0095 by bigbabydaddy1968, on Flickr

Squab-0096 by bigbabydaddy1968, on Flickr

Squab-0097 by bigbabydaddy1968, on Flickr

BTW, I found him on the ground about 100' or so from the bush and it looked like he was foraging, so I think he's OK. But I'd love suggestions on how to help....

not sure what you have but the bill looks like a type of grackle maybe great-tail grackle?

If you are going to feed it get meal-worms or wax worms, most young birds get fed mostly protein!! Bugs etc...

not sure what you have but the bill looks like a type of grackle maybe great-tail grackle?

If you are going to feed it get meal-worms or wax worms, most young birds get fed mostly protein!! Bugs etc...
Thanks! That makes sense, but I read somewhere that some species need seed, others need mealworms...I just didn't want to make the situation worse.

I think he's on his own, now. I saw him foraging in the yard and when I approached, he was able to fly off in very short bursts. Haven't seen him this AM, so either nature has taken its course or...nature has taken its course.

Latest posts

Top Bottom