Critique Fleeing the storm

Trying to keep some slight detail in my black and white backgrounds- a different look for me.
I was blessed with terrific light, weather and clouds for a couple of days last week.
Thoughts?
Thanks
gary

st augustine 42621   14553.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Though I like the image, there is a lot to be said for taking the time and effort to establish a style as you have done and then sticking with it, as that style becomes one's branding. On the other hand, you could make the argument that if you're working on developing another style, once you've accumulated a body of work in that style that is sufficiently large, that could eventually work well.

I wonder if it's because I'm so strongly influenced by your typical style that I keep wishing the background immediately behind the bird was the dark area of the sky instead of the current bright area. If so, that's more a compliment about your typical style than a criticism of this image.

Last edited:
Very useful thoughts.
I still really love the solid black backgrounds when I can get them- but at least to me they are becoming somewhat repetitive. Egrets wing position a little different, otherwise same as last years. (Although I do have a couple of new keepers with that look!!)
Other birds in the same conditions just don't stand out as elegantly. I have a small series of these, I will likely put a couple more up. It is amazing how the light changes, sky varies every second.
I did dodge a little around the birds head- maybe too much. Otherwise no local work or brightening. This is just what the light gave me, she was quite generous that day.
gary

I still really love the solid black backgrounds when I can get them- but at least to me they are becoming somewhat repetitive.

I recently posted a food photo that had some crumbs I had positioned in the foreground area of the scene. Someone commented that those crumbs made the photo. I responded that while that might be true, I'm getting a little bored with using that composition device. He then reminded me that it works really well. There's probably a moral to that little story.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom