fleet week airshow

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by fks, Oct 10, 2005.

1. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    had a picnic on angel island with some friends, then took the tram to battery ledyard to watch the airshow. the blue angels were an hour late unfortunately (bad wind conditions, or so i heard), so we didn't get to see the entire show as we had to catch the ferry back to the city.

i didn't have enough reach at 420mm, plus it was a warm day, so atmospheric haze and heat waves made the shooting conditions not the best. i think i'll go back to the city next year, or maybe try alcatraz.

comments, criticism, complaints always welcome :)

d2h+300mm f/4 AF+kenko 1.4x TC

fly me to the moon
    [​IMG]

buzzing the bay
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

glistning wings
    [​IMG]

ricky

2. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I just wish I had been there too...
    Great shots.

3. Hi Ricky,

Great shots! I didn't have enough reach at 340mm either. Your vintage point, with the city in the background produced some very interesting and different pictures. I love them all. What a show, huh? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

4. Nice series with the interesting background, Ricky.

5. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice series, Ricky! Interesting backgrounds!

6. All these are nice but I think image #2 kicks butt. Great series.

7. very enjoyable series!

8. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi all-

thanks for the kind words :) this was the first time that i intentionally set out to shoot the airshow (accidentally caught it last year while carrying my canon s410), and it was a fun shoot. i was hoping to catch the blue angels with the golden gate bridge in the background, but they didn't do a pass in that direction while i was there.

hi philippe-

i saw your thread, but the server at work blocks smugmug (and pbase among others), so i'll have to wait until i get home to check your photos. i also had my 70-200mm with me, but one look through the viewfinder and the 300mm went on. the show was great, i was going to see it again on sunday but unfortunately i had a family get-together to attend.

thanks again to all,

ricky

9. Ricky, cool shots - the city in the backbround is a perfect back drop and you used nicely and the Moon shot is great.
    Thanks for sharing.

Mike

10. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Number 3 is wonderful. How tight of a crop was that, or where you in an adjacent F/A 18 Hornet? :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing,

11. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi mike and patrick-

thanks for the compliments :)

the third shot isn't a crop, the blue angels fly right over angel island for their first pass. i wasn't quite underneath them, but they were pretty close. i think they fly right over the highest point of the island. it would be cool to take an underbelly shot of the planes.

ricky

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very good shots. Building are really nice in the mix.

13. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Very Nicely Done! Some of the best air show images I have seen on the net !

Regards

RFC

14. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice series, Ricky. Some shooters might not approve of your composition and/or depth of field...but I really like how you not only captured the aircraft, but also how you featured the city and it's landmarks as well. All were very nicely done! I can almost hear the jets screaming by!!!

15. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi gale, robert and frank-

thanks for the kind words :)

i always try to include recognizable landmarks when possible. sf is such a picturesque city, it's a shame not to use it as a backdrop. i missed out on getting a shot of the blue angels with the golden gate bridge as a background; philippe did a better job with that.

ricky