Flicker and Kingfisher in a dive

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Here are a couple of shots I took last night at my favorite park in the Seattle area. The flicker was in nice golden light. The Kingfisher dove off the rail and I was able to get four shots of him but he never hit the water. At the last second he came out of his dive and flew off. The Kingfisher picture was cropped quite a bit. These were shot with the D2X and Sigma 500 4.5 lens .

original.

View attachment 13894

2. Awesome shots of two of the birds on my top ten list to add to my portfolio

3. Super shots Jim. I can't seem to arrange my visits to Juanita at the same time as the KingFisher that hangs out there does.

4. Holy smokes Jim! Very impressive. Those are both tough birds to shoot. Was the halo in the original Flicker image?

5. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Wow. These are great. My last 2 visits to Juanita have been pretty unproductive. Had to shoot boats as I did not see any birds.

I did see a bald eagle perched on the pole in the middle of the lake but with my 70-200mm lens, he was just a speck in the frame. More like a bug :)

Are there any good times to spot birds at Juanita? Or is it just pure luck (which I don't seem to have much of)?

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent captures Jim. One of the best of each species that I've seen here or anywhere. :wink:

7. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    The flicker shot is just awesome. Great view of him doing what is natural and not just sitting. good grab.

8. Thanks all for the kind words. Rory I am sure I over sharpened and when I get home I will check it out. I really need to get a better handle on this sharpening thing. Any tips would be much appreciated.

9. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Fantastic shots, Jim! Nice capture of natural actions on both birds.

10. He he. I know what you mean! Ron Reznick is the master in my book, but Mike is also darn good - maybe he can chime in. You might try playing with selective sharpening using layers. If you want to know more I can put together an explanationof how I do it.

11. saturnine

saturnine Guest

That second photo looks like he's acting very shy and giving a timid "hello" wave with his right wing :lol:

12. Yeah it does Grace or maybe even a Matador getting ready for a bull fight.

13. That is one fantastic flicker shot, Jim. Love the lighting!

14. bfjr

bfjr Guest

2nd shot is right on WTG!!!

15. Luv the flicker shot, very well done. Rory must have a eagle eye, took me a bit to figure out what you were talking about LOL, not that bad at all. Be happy with the shot, you did great!