Flickr Love Story

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by staceylynn, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Has anyone seen this? What a modern day love story. I met my boyfriend of 2.5 years online (myspace) but it wasn't quite like this. :)

I was looking around at blogs the other day and saw the story of a girl in England and a guy here in the US (actually here in NC) that had met on flickr and fallen in love. Every Sunday they would take a photo of themselves and put it together into one photo just so they could be together in some way.

I added them both to my flickr and noticed a few days ago that the new photo of them together didn't look photoshopped. Sure enough, he went to England for her. I'm guessing he actually moved there, but it's amazing none the less. Both of them are amazing photographers, too - so even if you aren't into sappy love stories, their photos alone should inspire you.

Her story on how they met.
    "Ok, so abit about me and Aaron :D
    On 31st March this year, I joined flickr. On 24th of April, I finally worked out how to post photos to flickr. Two days later at college, myself and my awesome friend Nat showed me a photo of a guy with a can on hair mousse up his nose, hair flowing in the wind.

We spent the whole lunch hour oo-ing and aah-ing at his photos, mighty impressed by his talent and humor. The next day, this mysterious yet charming man had left me a comment, and added me as a contact!!!!

Completely extatic that such a concentrated area of talent and awesomeness found ME worth watching, I sent him a message, saying that I liked his boobs.

We messaged many times every day, wrote an adventure book (you might want to click on that link ;) hehe) together, stayed up talking on gmail for hours every night until it was light outside, then began doing the same thing except with phones. It has been two months since we became addicted to each other, and I have completely fallen. We've yet to meet, but every day our feelings get stronger and stronger. I need him, and I am counting down the days until this photograph is reality."

Aaron says: " Every Sunday Rosie takes an image in England and i take one in America, and we put ourselves together, even if it is just in a photo. This photo means a lot to me. It is the first time Rosie and i have touched, in our first comp, we were separated by a WALL, in our second our FINGERS barely touched, and now we are together, as it should be."

Follow their story and see their photos:
    Rosie's Flickr
    Aaron's Fliclr

2. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    That is awesome! Thank you for posting.

3. Wow! I haven't read everything, but that story is incredible. Even more amazing than the story are the photographs that these two have produced. They are two very creative individuals and would appear to be perfect for each other. Thanks Stacey for sharing.

4. That's a super sweet story! Now I'm off to look at the pics!

5. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    There was a similar couple on Flickr, but from Canada and the US, and neither had a lot of money so they couldn't travel often to see each other, maybe once a year or so. I don't recall their names but it had been going on much longer than this pair.

It's a sweet story, but I don't know if I'd be happy if she were my daughter. She's only 17, and he looks like he's a lot older. What's different about their story from an older man who meets a teenager through Myspace or another site, and arranges to meet? (and take pictures of each other in bed together...)

6. I understand what you're saying and I noticed too that she was only 17. She does still live at home with her parents, and I have no idea what the legal age is in the UK...

edited to add: he is 24.

7. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    In Canada that's illegal... dunno about the UK. I don't want to read too much into their personalities through the photos that they post... but hers do show a lot of skin.

8. Sorry..I dont believe in (long distance) internet love`s.For some reason people often seem to be just a bit different on the net than IRL.My best friend had a girlfriend from Mexico almost 6 years ago that he was crazy about.So he took all his savings and went to Mexico to meet her. For the girl,she thought he was the famous Knight in shining armour,while we (his friends) knew he was only a horseman of a sh*tcar.Well..after a few days we got a anouncment that he was getting married,and she was comming over to Holland.Once back in Holland i tried to talk him in to reason that it was not fare for the girl to come over and see the rubberbands of his masks he was wearing pop off one at the time.Anyway..they got married anyway,and the girl came over.After a few months she got her first crisis.She intagrated real fast to Dutch society,and learned to speak Dutch in a record time,but she learned the hard way not to take a "internetlover" ever again.The marige lasted a very difficult and long 5 years.Now in divorce she cant return to Mexico due to the debts they made.

9. Soooo, about those loves that DO make it, mine being one...

10. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    ++

I don't mean to say that they won't work out, but laws are there for a reason... I'm assuming it's to protect minors from being manipulated or exploited (I'm saying this in general, and not referring to this particular couple).

11. I know, and I understand your concern and agree. I just thought it was kinda sweet. I saw a photo she posted a few months back about turning 18, so she may be 18 now?

My boyfriend is 28 and I'm 23 and we met online. Though I wasn't 17 at the time, I do agree with what you're saying. I just thought it would be interesting to follow, if nothing else.

I am, after all, a hopeless romantic. :)

12. baeken

baeken

Jun 24, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    it's nice the life sometimes is just like the movies...

13. Thanx for sharing this, while i might not care so much about their love, i really like the imagery, then again their love is probebly a great insparation for the imagery so ill take that back, .-)

Inspiring.

14. ditto. :)

15. I think it's great and while we could all cite examples of internet romance that did not work out, the reality is that sometimes it does and it's just as wonderful and beautiful as any other love.

Rather than presuppose that things won't work or make judgments, I for one, think it's great that the internet helps to bring people together that might never have the chance to meet. Chances of the relationship working out are just as good, or bad, as any other relationship, in my opinion.

Breaking the law or rushing into things without thinking them though is the danger as I see it, not the concept or idea of people finding each other on the net.

16. that is very cool, stacey
    i appreciate this thread.... and links

thank you

17. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    17 :eek: She didn't look like that!

Few issues:

1) The law is in place to protect people from predatory relationships. I don't think that the law against adult+minor had a case like this in mind. Having said that, it won't get you far in court. For laws, intentions never count; what is written down does.

2) The dude might be in some serious trouble when he gets home. It doesn't matter that he was in a foreign country (can anyone spell "Thailand"?). It doesn't really matter whether he stepped into this with full approval of the parents and their family. It doesn't even matter if it was legal in that country or not. When the DA sees this they'll probably arrest him anyway is this is such a nicely documented case.

3) Then again, that case might be hard to prove that "something really happened" - the pictures might suggest something but there's no hard evidence that they did "anything illegal".

All that would be a shame, it's such a wonderful love story. :Love:

(and then 3 weeks from now we learn that the whole thing was a big fake and everybody is very upset.)

18. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    I met my hubby online too. He was originally from England and was living in the States. Before that, I flew to England alone to meet someone I met online (nuts, I know). He had a 7 year old daughter. We dated for a little over a year before deciding the commute was just too much. He came over here a couple of times and I went there a couple times. I was supposed to go to school for graphic design in London before meeting my husband, who swore he'd never move back. So here we are in NC.

19. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    ok this is weird as hell.
    online dating:505::505:

20. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Me and my husband met in a chat room 9 years ago, it's a pretty long and crazy story!
    A bit too crazy for an open forum.

We weren't dating online, since we both thought it was too "odd", not having met in person.
    Although once we met, it really didn't take long before we were dating. And I didn't leave the country in
    5 long years.

It almost ended in a short story but now, 9 years later we're living our lives together.