'Flickr & Nikon'

Wow! I am actually amazed that all of the top cameras on there are D series and, not P&S cameras. I would have figured otherwise.

Probably a factor of there being 27 gazillion different CoolPix models. Seems like there's a different one every two weeks.

Probably a factor of there being 27 gazillion different CoolPix models. Seems like there's a different one every two weeks.

That get replaced often too. A D80 owner has their camera for years - a $100 coolpix probably doesn't even last that long and gets replaced by another piece of bling anyway.

cool find.. it looks like d80 is still going strong... or should i say d40 still going strong.

I would think those numbers probly fairly representative of sales volumes for each model too

But not entirely; it is more the product of [sales] x [activity] and there is likely to be a bias in the latter unless Flickr demographics match exactly Nikon demographics. This explains the relative low score of the D40/D60 as the majority of those cameras are sold to the "soccer mom" customers* who most of the time, if they post images at all, use services like Kodak or the photo sharing that the printing service of their local pharmacy or bulk retailer (Cosco, BJ, Sams, Walmart, Target) provides. In similar fashion "high end" shooters (D700, D3, D3x) likely value presentation more than sharing and will user other services (pbase, smugmug, etc) leaving an overrepresentation of "middle ground" cameras with the D70 at one end and the D300 at the other.

* Flame on! :smile: I'm not saying that every D40 owner is a "soccer mom", or even that there even exists such a thing. But marketing is all about segmentation and "parents who want upscale quality pictures of their offspring engaging in outdoor activities, mostly sports, and are willing to buy an SLR for it but don't care about photography as an activity in itself" is such a mouth full

Latest threads

Top Bottom