Flight with Point and Shoot

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by GeeJay, Jul 1, 2007.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    A few days ago I took a flight to Michigan from Florida. I found it impossible to figure out which camera and which lenses to take. Ended up getting a little point and shoot and kept it in my pocket. I took all the pictures either in the plane or out the window of the plane with the P&S.

When we reached our destination I got out my D200 with the 180 mm and got the Moonshine picture. So I had stashed a few lenses and a good camera into my bag.

I'm very impressed with the tiny point and shoot (Canon SD1000) but even more impressed with the Moonshine picture taken with the D200. I can see how far I've come with my photography 'mind set' because I used to think the point and shoot cameras were the 'cat's meow'... However, they are very convenient and easy to carry and I will probably carry one in my pocket so it's always handy.

p664414169-3.

p763157256-4.

p684930199-5.

p809433565-5.

2. Very cool! How did you get to take the image thru the cockpit?

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very niec Gaye

Glad you had a safe trip:>))))

4. Hi Gaye,

Those are nice shots!

That's a great way to fly :wink: just very costly.

Was this trip your move north for the summer, or a down & back visit?

You need to see the DVD from our Baja trip.

Bob & Nan

5. ansdguy

ansdguy Guest

Very nice. I think the picture of the dog is amazing for a P&S camera. What point and shoot do you use?

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Dave,
    I hung around with that tiny camera until the door opened :) I'm just a little old lady with a point and shoot. Never could have done it with a D2X or D200 :)

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Gale, sure don't miss that Florida heat and humidity. We had the heat on the first morning up here.

8. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Bob and Nan,
    Yep, you've got it right :wink: We're up here for the summer and sure love the weather compared to Florida. AND we're surrounded by a national park so I should get some good pictures this summer.

We enjoyed your other DVD very much. We both watched it twice and now I've sent it to my family. It's a great DVD and I"m sure your Baja trip DVD is as good or better.

9. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks for the nice comment.
    I used the cute, little Canon SD1000. It's easy to carry and use..It shoots in jpg so I get many shots on my 2GB SD card.

10. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Hey Gaye great capture however you did it you should be proud of the shot.

Wade

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2007
  11. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Wade, thanks!
    I like the landing picture too. It surprised me that the P&S could do such a good job. I did run it through PS but that just sharpened it and cropped it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2007
  12. LOL! When you said moonshine I had something else in mind and couldn't imagine what kind of pic you'd take of that. :smile:

They are nice. The dog is a cutie.

13. Nice Moonshine

I really like that moonshine shot. The color on the lake is just awesome.

14. Cannon SD1000

Glad to hear your P&S is a Canon SD 1000. Thats the same P&S that I have. I have not used it much since I just got my D80 and learned how to use it over two weeks in Hawaii -- a tough place to learn how to use a camera!

15. Cabrams

Cabrams Guest

Hi Gaye, I have always been a dedicated nikon fan and still am, however in the point and shoot world I will have to say that I think you made the right choice in cameras. The canon SD series are like your great aunts fruit cakes. Nothing you do to them can hurt them or make them better.

Corey

16. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Thanks Greg, Corey and Shellie!
    I have to agree about the Canon point and shoot cameras. This is my second SD camera. I can't find anything wrong with them and the size is perfect for me to slip into my pocket.

This was the first time I'd used the SD1000 and I was pleasantly surprised with the results. And I could take pictures with no one knowing it. However, nothing like my DSLR camera results.

Enjoy that D80, Greg and thanks to you,Corey and Shellie for commenting.

17. MrsWeidner

MrsWeidner Guest

Well, since you guys are admitting to owning a camera OTHER than a Nikon, I guess I can too. I own the Canon SD800 IS. It is a really great little P&S. I didn't like his big brother the Rebel XTI though, hence the reason I'm a proud Nikon D80 owner. LOL

18. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Jennifer,
    I think all the Canon SD point and shoot cameras are good. At least I've had good experience with two of them. Have fun with that D80.