1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

flip-floping on lens choice.

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by swmlon, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Well,
    up till last night i was set on getting the Nikon 35mm f1.2 AIS when i went go to NY later this month. I had saved my cash from work this summer and was set.

However, i have been presented with another option to get another lens which on my realistic lens wish list, the 50mm f1.2.

The lens is in mint condition AND £100 cheaper than the 35mm i was going to buy.

Now i dont know what to do, i went to look back over all my photos and see that it is pretty even split on shots taken at (and around) 35mm and 50mm.

and no, as much as i would like it to be, buying both is not an option. so which should get priority, which is harder to come by in good condition?

help, anybody, please.

shing

2. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    I assume you mean 35 1.4 ?
    I would get that one over the 50 1.2

3. Depends...

Really depends on the focal length you prefer.

I really like working with the 35mm range specially on the D3 or an FX sensor.

A couple of days ago I played again with the 50/1.2 (I had not brought it with me to Europe) and I found myself quickly taking it off the D3 in favor of the 35/1.4 ... Perhaps it is because I am used to the 35 more than the 50 but I also seem to prefer the 35mm focal length. This said the 50/1.2 is a great lens and has better/creamier bokeh than the 35.

Between those two lenses it is a matter of personal preference.

4. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    If I were in your shoes and I was going to NYC, I would want something wide. So the decision is easy - 35/1.4.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.