Flip-it for the SB400

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by darrell, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Joe Demb has added a flip-it designed for the SB400.
    Anybody tried this one? I know one can make a homemade cardboard thing but Joe's units are well made and inexpensive.

2. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Neat. Its too bad Nikon didn't engineer another hinge into the body to allow it to ceiling bounce on portrait orientation.

3. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I think I'll order one for each of my SB-400's. Is there any other company making a similar product for a design comparison?

Thanks for sharing the info on this interesting product!

4. That would have been a good idea but it seems nikon wanted to keep it small and compact. IMO the SB400 is Nikon's juiced up on-board flash attachment. Especially designed for those cameras that don't come equipped with the on-board flash.

5. John, I ordered one this evening as well. I think it will make the SB400 more useful in daylight as fill flash.

6. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    It looks like a well made product - at least in the photos. Maybe they will design a "Better Beemer" that does not fall apart next... For another innovative design, look at "Demb Flash Diffusers": http://www.dembflashproducts.com/diffuser/

This might be a good addition to the SB-800. I'm looking at the DFD Pro. I held my order on the Flip it! 400 until tomorrow, to possibly try a DFD Pro on the same order. Ideas about this product?

7. I have the DFD pro and the Flip-it jr. Unlike the GF diffusers the Flip-its fold flat and fit nicely in the camera bag.

8. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Darrell,

Thank you for the extremely useful information! 2 questions:

1-Does the DFD Pro fold up (you noted the Flip-it jr. does)

2-Owning both the DFD pro & Flip-it jr. for awhile, do you use both of them, or does one stay in your bag and no longer sees the light of day?

Thanks!

9. John, The jr was my first Flip-it purchase from a few years ago. At the time it was one of the two Flip-its available from Joe Demb.
    The jr now gets only very limited use.

So to answer your question the larger DFD pro is preferable and comes with an added attachable diffuser. (which I almost never use) The unit folds flat for easy carry, also it can be attached quickly and easily to your Sb800 /SB600 flash unit.

I think you will like DFD pro.

10. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Thanks Darrell!

I'm ordering a DFD Pro and 3) Flip=it 400's

11. Now that is living up to your name:tongue: :biggrin: :tongue:

12. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Thanks again, Darrell. Order placed today for 2) DFD Pro's and 3) Flip-it 400's; one for each flash. Very responsive company. The owner emailed confirmation within 5 minutes. We'll soon see how they are built!

13. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    The neat thing about the Flip-It is that it is universal. I have gotten quick email responses when I asked questions, and as mentioned, it folds flat for storage. Mine lives in the zipper compartment on the outside of myLowepro Nova5AW's cover.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2007