Flipped!! - More Swallowtails!!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by CrystallP, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Good Morning,

I was trying to read the latest Harry Potter novel when I noticed three swallowtails on my deck!!! Decisions, decisions...read the book (to avoid spoilers) or photograph my butterflies...

Obviously the butterflies won (and I finished Harry on Monday morning at 2:41 a.m.!!)

I have more to process including a beautiful Fritillary, but it wouldn't cooperate for the customary full-wing shot!!

All three swallowtails were feeding from nearby blooms...but this one was particularly patient with me. I was able to capture the action as he flipped to the other side of the branch.

Nikon D2X + 105VR

large.

Nikon D2X + 105VR

View attachment 107789

2. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    these are great

3. Number 2 is lovely.

4. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Great shots Crystal!

5. Daniel-Swe

Daniel-Swe Guest

Nice!
    especially number 2!

6. Thank you for all for your kind feedback. I am anxiously awaiting more butterflies!! Hopefully I'll be able to catch a few in action this weekend.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow great shots
    Print the second one:>)))))

8. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Great shots Crystal. I like the last one. Very colorful.

9. Hi Gale. Thanks for the compliment. I cropped this image about 65% and printed it at 8 x 10. It looks great!! I have several more and I plan to practice my DOF this weekend when my swallowtails visit. I saw one this evening, but it didn't stay long. My butterfly bush is working overtime!! The aroma is downright intoxicating!! No wonder the little butterflies flip!! :biggrin:

Hi Chris. Thank you!! I am so proud of that one. The JPEG compression doesn't do it justice!! I got a big kick out of this swallowtail because it flipped over from branch to branch attacking every blossom!! There were actually three of them competing for nectar on the same bush along with a bunch of bumble bees!! :biggrin:

10. Harry Who??? :rolleyes:

Nice pics Crystal!

11. Well done Crystal. You have really captured this butterfly. I bet you enjoyed yourself at the time and then went back to HP to round off a perfect day.

I am going to start reading my copy next week. My ex-wife phoned to say she finished her copy at 1.15am and warned me not to read the last 150 in the late evening, otherwise I will be going to be late to bed!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Bob F.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2007
  12. Lovely work Crystal!

13. ROTFL!! 620 pages on Sunday!! I didn't want anyone to spoil it for me!!

Bob, I was crazy-tired by the time I finished the last page! As I mentioned to Jim, I read 620 pages from Sunday to Monday morning at 2:41 a.m. I was determined to read it in peace and not suffer any disappointments from spoilers at work. The swallowtails and hummers were very patient. Now I am listening to it on the way to work and enjoying it all over again!

I am hoping that I attract additional gulf fritillaries and painted ladies to my garden. I discovered that I have a volunteer elm tree in one of my shallow planters. Hopefully one of them will lay eggs on it (along with the passionvine). My butterfly weed (sowed from seed) appears to be doing well. I won't try to transplant it (I killed the seedlings).

Thanks Dave! I traded the 200 micro but the 70-180 and 105VR are working overtime!! :wink:

14. What is this? Do you mean Lantana?

Bob F.

15. No, not lantana, asclepias tuberosa. My lantana is thriving!! In fact, I planted two varieties with blanket flowers. :biggrin:

16. OH. You want the Monarch/Milkweeds to visit.

Bob F

17. Lovely images, Crystall. Just super work.

My wife is a Harry Potter fan but hasn't finished Deathly Hallows yet.:smile:

18. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    I must have missed these yesterday -- nice ones Crystall. I like it when I can get top and bottom sides like these. With many species, tops and bottoms are so much different that it's nice to have both for identification and cataloging.

19. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Now you're cooking!

20. OOOHHHH Crystall! These are stunning! I love em both! WOW! They're gorgeous! Hey, I can hardly wait to meet you in Oct!