Flirty Female Regal Darner

(Any correction on the ID is always welcome!)

Dragonflies_1838-1-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking!

Very good sharpness on the eyes. How close to the dragonfly were you with the 90mm lens? I can't seem to get them to pose like that.

The dragons have heard about your photog' skills and now they're
actually coming to pose for you...! :tongue:

Excellent, sharp face shot...! :cool:

Nice portrait of a Blue dasher. From this angle I can't tell if it's an immature male or mature female (likely the latter).

A Regal darner is two to three times the length of the dasher (think REALLY BIG dragonfly) and hangs vertically when landed as do most darners.

Larry

Nice portrait of a Blue dasher. From this angle I can't tell if it's an immature male or mature female (likely the latter).

A Regal darner is two to three times the length of the dasher (think REALLY BIG dragonfly) and hangs vertically when landed as do most darners.

Larry

So this is a dasher? I did have a dragon the other day just hanging vertically under a leaf like it was getting out of the sun. What would this be?

Dragonflies_1799-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So this is a dasher? I did have a dragon the other day just hanging vertically under a leaf like it was getting out of the sun. What would this be?

Just because a given dragonfly perches in a certain way, that doesn't mean it's a necessarily the member of a particular family. Not all species follow "the family rules".

This is female Needham's skimmer, if I'm not mistaken. It's the same family as the dasher (Libelullidae) but a different genus.

Larry

Just because a given dragonfly perches in a certain way, that doesn't mean it's a necessarily the member of a particular family. Not all species follow "the family rules".

This is female Needham's skimmer, if I'm not mistaken. It's the same family as the dasher (Libelullidae) but a different genus.

Larry
Thank you, Larry! Not all the species in my family follow the "Family Rules" either!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom