1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

"Floating Hibiscus"

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by willg, Aug 18, 2009.

1. willg

willg

Nov 22, 2007
    New Jersey, USA
    Taken at Reeves-Reed Arboretum in N.J. I sort of like how it came out, curious what others feel about it. The original was slightly underexposed, played in Nik Silver Efex to this point.

3834418723_b53cd146f9.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2009
  2. willg

willg

Nov 22, 2007
    New Jersey, USA
    Feelings either way?

3. I like it Will, very striking! I'd kinda like to see the stem, though... Maybe not, yes, maybe not ;) ...

4. jshillhouse

jshillhouse

Apr 22, 2009
    Utah
    that is a pretty cool look

5. I like it. I'm not usually a fan of B&W florals, but this works. For me, at least.

Kenny

6. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    The flower is nicely done and has great texture. To me I keep looking for someway for it to be "grounded" or related to the background, i.e. a faint stem, or ???

Regardless, this is a very nice B&W.

7. willg

willg

Nov 22, 2007
    New Jersey, USA
    Rich, Jeff, Kenny and Karen; Thanks for looking. The lack of the stem is what was sort of bothering me somewhat. Thats why I was curious to see how others felt. I think you confirmed my suspicions. Thanks all for looking and commenting.

8. Hammster

Hammster

Apr 24, 2007
    San Diego, Ca.
    I don't mind the lack of stem. I like the floating feeling of the picture. However, I'm having trouble with the lack of detail in the stamen (?). It seems it needs more contrast to show up better. It seems a bit overexposed so it is sort of lost in the petal behind it.
    I really like the concept and the all white is a great idea. Just wishing for that center part to pop a bit more. Maybe it's just the picture size? Not sure.

9. I usually like color for flowers, but I'm kinda feelin this one. I think I could see it framed on the wall, the lack of a stem makes it a bit more abstract.

10. willg

willg

Nov 22, 2007
    New Jersey, USA
    Mike; Understood. The staymen was almost pure white pretty much like the petals so that makes any seperation between them a bit difficult. I'm far from a photoshop wizard so i'm not really sure how to correct that. I'm not sure you even can. Thanks for looking and commenting.

11. willg

willg

Nov 22, 2007
    New Jersey, USA
    Irma; thanks for looking. Took awhile but it did grow on me a bit also. I think i'm liking it more as is. Thanks........

12. AllThumz

AllThumz

Feb 24, 2009
    Albany, Oregon
    I wasn't too sure about it at first. I still can't decide whether it needs a stem or not! What I really do like is the texture in the petals - that really makes it for me.

Regards,
    John

13. willg

willg

Nov 22, 2007
    New Jersey, USA
    Thanks John for taking the time to look and comment. I'm feeling that the lack of the stem might just be giving the shot the difference i'm looking for. Thanks again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.