"Floating Hibiscus"

Taken at Reeves-Reed Arboretum in N.J. I sort of like how it came out, curious what others feel about it. The original was slightly underexposed, played in Nik Silver Efex to this point.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
The flower is nicely done and has great texture. To me I keep looking for someway for it to be "grounded" or related to the background, i.e. a faint stem, or ???

Regardless, this is a very nice B&W.

Rich, Jeff, Kenny and Karen; Thanks for looking. The lack of the stem is what was sort of bothering me somewhat. Thats why I was curious to see how others felt. I think you confirmed my suspicions. Thanks all for looking and commenting.

I don't mind the lack of stem. I like the floating feeling of the picture. However, I'm having trouble with the lack of detail in the stamen (?). It seems it needs more contrast to show up better. It seems a bit overexposed so it is sort of lost in the petal behind it.
I really like the concept and the all white is a great idea. Just wishing for that center part to pop a bit more. Maybe it's just the picture size? Not sure.

I usually like color for flowers, but I'm kinda feelin this one. I think I could see it framed on the wall, the lack of a stem makes it a bit more abstract.

I don't mind the lack of stem. I like the floating feeling of the picture. However, I'm having trouble with the lack of detail in the stamen (?). It seems it needs more contrast to show up better. It seems a bit overexposed so it is sort of lost in the petal behind it.
I really like the concept and the all white is a great idea. Just wishing for that center part to pop a bit more. Maybe it's just the picture size? Not sure.
Mike; Understood. The staymen was almost pure white pretty much like the petals so that makes any seperation between them a bit difficult. I'm far from a photoshop wizard so i'm not really sure how to correct that. I'm not sure you even can. Thanks for looking and commenting.

I wasn't too sure about it at first. I still can't decide whether it needs a stem or not! What I really do like is the texture in the petals - that really makes it for me.

Regards,
John

Thanks John for taking the time to look and comment. I'm feeling that the lack of the stem might just be giving the shot the difference i'm looking for. Thanks again.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom