Flooded Cemetery

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by frankier, Sep 21, 2008.

1. The week when Ike was pounding on Texas, the ChicagoLand experienced 3 days of uninterrumpted rain. Clearly, only a nuissance when compared with what happened in Texas.

The day after the rain stopped (9/16), I was driving home and noticed a cemetery that had been partially flooded by a river that runs by it. I had to go inside and take some pics. It must have been a heartbreaking view for the living relatives of the people resting there.

There we go....

Localize the place ... (googlemap). This cemetery is bordered by the Des Plaines river, which after meeting the Kankakee River, form the Illinois River, a tributary of the Mississippi River.

Cemetery2.jpg

The area in red is where I took the pics.
    Cemetery.jpg

The line where the flooded area started .....

Flood_05.jpg

Pretty sad view.... It seems that there are no graves in the midsection, but it is full with simple stones laid flat on the ground, like the ones visible in the lower mid-right section of the pic.

Flood_07.jpg

At first, I thought that the shape in the foreground was a coffin :eek:, then realized that it was just a tilted stone.

Flood_11.jpg

Not a good day for the Crawfords ....

Flood_08.jpg

.... or the Holts or the Lichts ....

Flood_06.jpg

... or the Johannsens or the Larsens .....

Flood_13.jpg

This grave must have received some flowers just the day before the flooding. Not common to see someone who died in 1940 still receiving flowers on their grave. Kind of made me smile and gave me hope.:smile:

Flood_09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2008
  2. There were some photos posted of grave sites with floating coffins - not a good sight to see.

You captured some great photos - sad, but great, and they tell a great story.

3. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

at least no coffins were floting by like boats.

4. Thanks!

5. Flooded cemeteries can be things nightmares are made of and this one doesn't look to bad besides the high water.

6. That's sad. It's pretty eerie to see a graveyard flooded. In the Philippines, because of the typhoons they bury the deceased in stacked stone coffins. When I was 10, we buried my grandmother that way. It was also tradition that her body stay in the house for two weeks before burial with one blood relative present at all times.

7. No, no coffins floating (at least that I could see).

No it didn't. I just wonder what would happen if there were a flood each year. I mean, the terrain would get more and more "churned" and maybe at some point some coffing will just come out.

While it may seem scary, I believe that everything is based on the relationship with the deceased. My brother and I had no problems in personally preparing my parents for their burial. We actually felt honored to do it.

8. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Sad, but luckily no floaters.

I didn't know of that custom in the Phillipines; in Trinidad, it's usually one or two days at most, during which friends and family visit the home and play card games. These days, the body is brought to the home for a few hours before the funeral.

I want to be cremated when I go :)