Floor Texture

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Chris101, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    or, Still Life with Floor...
    [​IMG]

Gravelier
    [​IMG]

Would have been better if someone's shadow were sitting in it, huh?

2. Appealing.

They both make me think "time of day?"

The second one causes dancing with anarchy to pop into my head.

3. cellison

cellison

Mar 18, 2006
    Canada
    I like the first one... rotated 90 degrees CCW :)

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I'm liking this rorschach naming thing you've got going lately. Perhaps there is a need for that in the fine art world. Naming hasn't been really good since the heyday of the surrealists.

That would be, I guess, the way I shot it, but I couldn't tell until you mentioned it.

Thank you both!

5. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    the first one is wonderfully disorienting. lol.

i really like the second though...its very surreal and has an abstract quality too it, akin to the work of a lot of the painters i like....and the texture is great...i'd totally buy it at a poster shop (or i suppose a gallery, but i'm a starving student/artist :p) (and as an aside, i think a person shadow would've ruined it...its spot on as-is)

6. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Very nice textures indeed. As a texture artist I really appreciate these kind of shots =)

7. cellison

cellison

Mar 18, 2006
    Canada
    A texture artist you say... for games?

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Davo! That you would want a poster of this on your wall is quite a compliment! There used to be places that would take any tiny ol' picture and blow it up to poster size for not very many $$. I used to have a hand colored huge poster of Grace Slick (yeah, I'm that old) on my dorm wall that was made from a picture in an album liner (told ya.)

And thank you Edd! Yeah, what is a texture artist? Like Slartibartfast ya mean?

9. Just seems like the best way to express what I see in a photograph.

In my mind, the emotional impression is the only one that matters.

10. Chris, good thing I viewed that first image on an empty stomach! Oh, and definitely print that second one - visually strong!

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Well, you do it well.

Thanks Ray! I think that's a compliment! Not sure if I'd use it as an endorsement though. His work made me queasy! See what I mean. :biggrin: :BigGrin: :biggrin: :BigGrin:

12. Spent some time looking, (easy) and thinking. (hard)
    Give #1 the deep six, and forget you wasted the film on it. Too obviously contrived and constructed.

Now, No. Two is a whole 'nother smoke. With aplolgies to Seinfeld's Elaine, I deem that Wallworthy! A fine abstraction of an interesting piece of furniture. Background texture is not overpowering and gives much to the whole visual expierence.

Keep on keepin' on.

13. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    so...if i actually wanted a poster of it...you sellin? ;)

and to firmly place myself in Gen Y...i actually had to look up who Grace Slick is. :p (at least i know what an album is though. lol) if i had posters...they'd more likely be of The Strokes, Mika, The Fratellis, Regina Spektor, Kings of Leon, or (my latest band of the month) The Pigeon Detectives.

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ha! Yeah, I was in love with her. :Dizzy:

Then:
    [​IMG]

Now:
    [​IMG]

15. Chris,
    That second pic is just great! It took me quite some time to understand what it was.

16. Boy, you and me three! The first time I saw the Jefferson Airplane, at the Avalon ballroom in SF I believe, she wasn't yet singing with them! '65 and '66 in San Francisco was a blast!

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yeah, she had a band with her brother and first hubby called The Great Society In some ways better than the Airplane cause they were garage about three decades before that term appeared. I had their only album (a 2 record set) but I CANT FIND IT!!!! Damn 70s!

18. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    It's old Grace.

Oh! You mean my picture! Here's a bit of foot zoom that clarifies it:
    [​IMG]

Ok, elevator zoom. What can I say, I'm lazy.

19. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    We could work something out... :smile:

20. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I've saved your tasty morsel for last Stephen! Oh, and thanks for the compliment on #2, I appreciate it.

But 'deep six it? As in throw it into the ocean, preferably with cement goulashes? But, but, but! All I did was point the camera at the floor right outside my office late in the afternoon. I didn't do anything to it. How about I keep a print, but put it waaaay at the back of my book, so they lose patience before they get to it?

So, thanks for the honest assessment, but could you be a bit more detailed in your critique? I want to understand what you see, because I really do like it!